Sign in to follow this  
emr454

My First Sheath

Here's my first attempt at a knife sheath. Very simple design just to cover the blade. I need to work on my edges a bit to make them turn out better. I also have decided that I am only going to make a stitch groove on one side of my pieces for now. I chucked a speedy stitcher needle in my drill press (not running, of course) and still couldn't hit both grooves when I punched my holes.

picture116v.jpg

picture115hv.jpg

I like the tooling work on it.

As far as grooving the back side. I might be doing it wrong, but I lay out my front stitch groove, then use an awl to poke completely through all the leather pieces on every mark left by the marker wheel. then I flip the piece over and use a freehand groover to make the back groove.

I like the tooling work on it.

As far as grooving the back side. I might be doing it wrong, but I lay out my front stitch groove, then use an awl to poke completely through all the leather pieces on every mark left by the marker wheel. then I flip the piece over and use a freehand groover to make the back groove.

The stamping was done with an old screwdriver bit that I ground down with the dremel into an irregular shape.

That's a good idea! I didn't use a stitching groover on this piece, it was a blunt pick/stylus thing I found. I cased the leather for tooling and just made a groove with the stylus. Next time I'll try doing it one side at a time.

Eric

I cut my stitch grooves after I've glued both pieces together and sanded the edges flat & smooth. Then I cut the groove around the edges on both sides because the adjustable stitch groover will give me the same distance on front and back. The trick to this is to do it after you've sanded the edges flat but before you bevel the edges. For the stitch grooves that follow the profile of a gun I do the same as Shooter McG.

Bronson

Bronson,

Is the leather wet or dry when you sand it, and do you use a drum on a dremel or regular sandpaper, or something else entirely. I've tried just about everything and only had marginal luck sanding the edges.

Bronson,

Is the leather wet or dry when you sand it, and do you use a drum on a dremel or regular sandpaper, or something else entirely. I've tried just about everything and only had marginal luck sanding the edges.

Same here. Any bits of cement that ooze out of the edges really gum up any sandpaper I use.

Eric

I do the edges on a belt sander now. Cheap-o Harbor Freight $50 one with an 80 grit belt. Works like a charm, and fast.

I do the edges on a belt sander now. Cheap-o Harbor Freight $50 one with an 80 grit belt. Works like a charm, and fast.

I've got one of those....but I don't have it setup yet.

I've been using sanding drums in a drill but I've slowly killed the drill because it's not meant to take sideways pressure. I've just picked up a cheap Harbor Freight straight shaft electric die grinder to replace the drill. It is made to take sideways pressure so hopefully it'll last a little longer. I think I'll need to hook it up to a dimmer switch or something though because it's only got one speed.

My process right now is to put the rough drum in and sand it flat & smooth. Then the fine drum goes in to smooth it a little more. Then I cut the stitch grooves and after the edges are bevelled I smooth/round the edge by hand with some 220 grit sandpaper before burnishing.

Bronson

I use my stitch groover on top side only. I over size the back piece. Glue both together. I use a weight on top of holster until glue thoroughly dries. Stitch. Cut bottom to fit top piece. Then I sand edges.

Like everyone else, I too have been on the quest for perfect edges. I use the harbor freight belt sander. First I use 80 grit and even everything up. Then I wet the edges of my holster with a wet paper towel. Then I use 120 grit on the belt sander. Sands and has a burnishing effect.

Hope this helps.