Sign in to follow this  
OutEast

Luberto's #9

Greetings All,

I have been involved in leatherwork for a bit now, primarily making holsters and gun belts for co-workers and friends. Until last year all my sewing was done by hand. I decided that purchasing a machine would be a sound investment enabling me to speed up production. My brother found me a great deal on a Luberto's #9 harness stitcher and I took the plunge and picked it up. It sewed great, and still does, and I thought it looked great for a machine stitch. This being my first powered machine it took a bit of adjustment on my part. I am not too mechanically inclined. I got the process down and sewed along, albeit with adjustments here and there, and a few calls to Tony Luberto, who, btw, is extremely helpful and a nice guy to boot. As I mentioned prior, the machine makes a great stitch. Having used it for a year has led me to think perhaps it isn't the machine for me. Adjustments and changes are somewhat complicated (again, for ME) and the two handed operation of turning the wheel and holding the work is getting old. Don't get me wrong the video that comes with it explains everything in detail should you have any questions, but it was beyond my level of mechanical ability. I feel this is a machine better suited for a more experienced leatherworker who is better acquainted with these types of stitchers. I would like to move on to a 441 clone, specifically a Cobra class 3. I think this machine would more than fit my needs. I think the #9 is more of a tinkerer's machine, someone who can get in there and tweak it without worry. Like I said I got a great deal on the #9 and would love to pass on a great deal to someone else. I would only be looking for the amount of money to cover the cost of a new Cobra Class 3. I'm kind of thinking out loud here. Any suggestions? Is this a wise decision? Any insight and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, sorry for the long winded post.

Out East

Greetings All,

I have been involved in leatherwork for a bit now, primarily making holsters and gun belts for co-workers and friends. Until last year all my sewing was done by hand. I decided that purchasing a machine would be a sound investment enabling me to speed up production. My brother found me a great deal on a Luberto's #9 harness stitcher and I took the plunge and picked it up. It sewed great, and still does, and I thought it looked great for a machine stitch. This being my first powered machine it took a bit of adjustment on my part. I am not too mechanically inclined. I got the process down and sewed along, albeit with adjustments here and there, and a few calls to Tony Luberto, who, btw, is extremely helpful and a nice guy to boot. As I mentioned prior, the machine makes a great stitch. Having used it for a year has led me to think perhaps it isn't the machine for me. Adjustments and changes are somewhat complicated (again, for ME) and the two handed operation of turning the wheel and holding the work is getting old. Don't get me wrong the video that comes with it explains everything in detail should you have any questions, but it was beyond my level of mechanical ability. I feel this is a machine better suited for a more experienced leatherworker who is better acquainted with these types of stitchers. I would like to move on to a 441 clone, specifically a Cobra class 3. I think this machine would more than fit my needs. I think the #9 is more of a tinkerer's machine, someone who can get in there and tweak it without worry. Like I said I got a great deal on the #9 and would love to pass on a great deal to someone else. I would only be looking for the amount of money to cover the cost of a new Cobra Class 3. I'm kind of thinking out loud here. Any suggestions? Is this a wise decision? Any insight and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time, sorry for the long winded post.

Out East

I have a Luberto's Classic, which is motorized and a#9 should be too. I think the Classic is the easiest machine to sew with and adjust I have used and have owned several including hook and awl machines, Juki 441 clones. Adler, artisan,juki and consew walking foot machines. Any machine can and will peobably need adjusting sooner or later. A servo motor makes most machines more user friendly. If a #9 is too complicated for you, you might consider a Tippman Boss. Just my 2 cents worth. Ken

I have a Luberto's Classic, which is motorized and a#9 should be too. I think the Classic is the easiest machine to sew with and adjust I have used and have owned several including hook and awl machines, Juki 441 clones. Adler, artisan,juki and consew walking foot machines. Any machine can and will peobably need adjusting sooner or later. A servo motor makes most machines more user friendly. If a #9 is too complicated for you, you might consider a Tippman Boss. Just my 2 cents worth. Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the reply. I know I made it out like I was sitting in front of the machine with drool coming out of my mouth and two bolts protruding from my neck but I'm not that bad...I think at this time I'm looking for a little automation, and being able to use both hands to guide the work and run the machine as opposed to guiding and cranking with the #9. I know the #9 can be powered, but do not want to go through the trouble. I think a 441 clone with a servo motor better suits my needs. Thanks for your input.

Out East

Ive got an adler 204-374 walking foot machine I might be will to trade depending on condition of the #9.... Email me some pictures and I can get you some more pics of the adler with table and stand andrew@awharness.com

-Andrew

post-5058-042222600 1296170950_thumb.jpg

Ive got an adler 204-374 walking foot machine I might be will to trade depending on condition of the #9.... Email me some pictures and I can get you some more pics of the adler with table and stand andrew@awharness.com

-Andrew

Thanks for posting, I will work on the pics.

MAN I AM KICKING MYSELF!! Bought a Singer 144w103 Then this beauty popped up. KICK KICK KICK!!

Thanks for posting, I will work on the pics.