Sign in to follow this  
mntnbkr1968

Sight Channel Education

My next project will probably be a flap holster for my Ruger Mark II.

Great gun for a walk in the woods, but as many of you know, this thing has a razor-sharp trench cutter for a front sight!

Referenced with my Colt Huntsman below...

DSCN4249.jpg

So after peeking inside some mass produced holsters I get the idea, but what is the best way to do a stitched channel @ home?

TYIA (again)

Monty

Either tape a dowel rod about the same size/diameter of the sight (slightly larger wouldn't hurt) to the barrel, from the front sight back to the rear sight and wet mold/pattern the holster with it attached.... Or, depending on the style of holster, figure out the location of your front sight and it's path of travel during the draw, before you sew the holster together, and sew in two leather strips with enough space between them to allow the front sight to pass between them without catching.... for the "dowel rod method" and a front sight that tall and square, you might look at using a flat sided "carpender's pencil" as your "dowel". You can either cut or sand it flat on the bottom to reach the height you need to protect that sight track during the molding process. Using a standard round dowel to reach that height of the tall front sight would probably create a large round tunnel... where a flat carpenter's pencil would allow a flat sight channel.

-Tac

I agree with Tac. I would do the 2 strips of leather the height of that killer front sight would be best. I would think glueing them would surfice. Glue is super tough and would stay the where you put. it. Semper-fi MIke

I once owned a Mark I, I had the front sight milled on it making it a ramp sight.

If you aren't using it for target practice you might consider ramping it.

Kevin

Edited by Tree Reaper

I did one once similar to that. I took a scrap piece of 16 or 18 oz and laid down a 1/4 inch wide track in it with my router, using a straight edge.

I then trimmed the piece to fit the top of the holster, . . . glued and sewed it in place. I was not "perfectly" happy with the results, . . . but it did the job well enough to resolve the problem.

May God bless,

Dwight

Those sights aren't meant to be holstered. I don't know why in the world Ruger makes them that shape.

My next project will probably be a flap holster for my Ruger Mark II.

Great gun for a walk in the woods, but as many of you know, this thing has a razor-sharp trench cutter for a front sight!

Referenced with my Colt Huntsman below..

So after peeking inside some mass produced holsters I get the idea, but what is the best way to do a stitched channel @ home?

TYIA (again)

Monty

FWIW; I just tape a piece of brass channel stock (obtained from a hobby shop) over the front sight and all the way back to the rear. When wet molding I just work that into the shape as needed. Here is the last one I did (as a practice piece for my own Ruger 'Standard' model). On the exterior, the thing doesn't even show, but inside it does the job just fine. A flap holster is not meant to be a 'fast draw' rig, so as long as the sight doesn't have aything to catch on..........it'll be fine. Mike

006-2-1.jpg

Edited by katsass

...or you could take a file and put a slight radius on the sight - then touch up blue. That's the way my Mark II was set up. When I wet molded the holster for it I just made a channel for it by pinching the holster with my thumbs all the way back from the sight, ..you can see it in this pic

DSCF4385.jpg

Edited by BConklin