Hey folks, I need a lil quick advice. I am doing one of my first carved/dyed leather projects. Got it all carved and put the dye on. It looks a little darker than I wanted. :head_hurts_kr: I am using an Eco-Flo tan dye and I have not put the Super Shene on it yet. Is there a good way to lighten it?? Maybe soaking it in water for awhile? Any ideas?

Cal

Untreated Eco-Flo does lighten with exposure to moisture. Is the peice completely covered with this color, or just specific areas?

Kate

Untreated Eco-Flo does lighten with exposure to moisture. Is the peice completely covered with this color, or just specific areas?

Kate

It's a small piece. A key fob I am making for practice and as a small gift. It is small enough to go into a small bowl of water.

If it lightens with moisture, would it be best to soak it a bit or to just get it wet and let it sit for a little before wiping it off?

cal

Dont just soak it in water, that could ruin your carving. Maybe try going over it with a wet brush, but don't just soak it.

Dont just soak it in water, that could ruin your carving. Maybe try going over it with a wet brush, but don't just soak it.

Cool! I'll go try it real quick and see how it comes out.

Thanks!!

cal

Well it came out a little lighter. I didn't have a brush so I used a white cloth and there was a little visable transfer on the cloth. After I let it dry it came out ok. Still a little darker than I originally wanted, but it'll work!

Thanks for the help! I will post a pic in the 'critique forum' after I am finished.

Thanks agian!!

cal

you "might" try some dye reducer but make sure that you oil it afterwards as it will really dry out the piece.

pete

You could try a dry brush of a lighter colour, if you have any acryllics I have found this works really nicely to highlight carved areas. To do it successfully takes a little practice, but....

Get a brush and dip in ink, wipe off all the excess and leave your brush till its nearly dry then in fast light movents pass it over the carving it should adhere to all the raised sections and leave the sunken recesses untouched. i have done theis a lot cause i keep messing up my dying. A word of caution don't use to light a colour or it will make too much of a issue of the overdye.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the help folks!! I will keep these ideas in mind as I WILL mess up the dye job again....grin

I am posting pics of this project in the Critque My Work forum. Please have a look and provide suggests to help me improve.

Thanks again!!!

cal