Nooj

Just Got A Tippmann Aerostitch :-)

I happened across a Tippmann Aerostitch for sale on a classified ad website and decided to get it. I had it shipped from Montana to GA- It just came in yesterday, I went running out of the house barefoot to meet the UPS guy, lol.

Now I just need a bench to mount it to... oh, and a shop to work in :-/ and to learn how to use the thing. It may not be the Caddy of sewing machines, but something about the Aerostitch made me want one since I first saw them. I'm happy with my purchase, and have less invested thus far than I would've with a comparable electric machine.

Just thought I'd share :cheers: I'm sure I'll have questions for you experienced folk once I begin using it.

Nooj

post-14247-076588500 1299852574_thumb.jp

Those pieces of tape on the machine are "instructions" the previous owner put on to help me out ;-)

Nice find! I love the integrated bobbin winder. Do you have a compressor large enough to power it?

Good machine I really like mine. If you have any questions ask away. By the way Tippmann still supports these and thier Techs are very helpful don't hesitate to call them.

bought one many years ago a little quirky but i love mine it can do about anything you throw it if you set it up right.i know a bit about them dont hesitate to ask any questions.

regarsd shovelhead

Thanks for your offerings of help, yall! I'm certain there will be many times I'll call upon you for answers.

I bought a little 10 gallon horizontal 5hp Husky compressor, which I think will run it. I think it puts out 5.1cfm at 90psi. More than likely I'll be using the slowest possible setting to begin with, so my air demand won't be much, lol. At least until I'm comfortable enough to know I can go faster without sewing my fingers to the leather.

Nooj

Well I've been running mine for quite a while now as well and I've learned way more than I can type out here about them:) Mine came, well not functioning, so I got the joy or fixing and building bits as needed. Now nearly a year later I finally have it working as well as it ever has, lots of little minor problems that I would bet most guys never see;) I think though I've replaced all the old parts that were worn out or broken when I got the machine and it should be pretty good and stable going forward. I would say my experience with the Aerostitch is that it's a great machine that can take a little tinkering from time to time to keep running right. That said, most of it is coarse enough work that it's fairly easy to keep going with parts and some phone help from Tippmann. Tom is the man to talk to down there about the Aerostitch's and I've spent quite a bit of time talking with him about my machine. Mine actually came out after the last manual, and they never produced one for my model, it's actually slightly different than all the 4 manuals they made;) So he at one point drew out a pneumatic diagram for me to redo the hose's and replace the missing ones.

Good luck and feel free to shout with questions, most everyone here who has posted myself included would be happy to help;) Enjoy the machine!

Luke

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to know of someone who has dealt with minor details about the machine. When I got mine the first thread guide post was broken off and the air cylinder on top of the machine has a dent :-(

Luckily it came with an extra guide post... But I'm curious if the top cylinder will work with the dent, or if it will hinder the piston inside from moving freely (I can cycle it by hand- but being new I'm not sure how far it's supposed to go). I guess I'll figure it out once I run it; Or at least know what kinda questions to ask you guys.

Thanks again,

Nooj

Over the past 40 years I have used quite a few different machines. I have been using the aero for a good 15 yrs and it does it all, leather, nylon and sheep or

artifical fleece. You can't beat the price or the tech support. Am sure you are going to be plum pleased with your choice.

Thanks for the reply! I'm glad to know of someone who has dealt with minor details about the machine. When I got mine the first thread guide post was broken off and the air cylinder on top of the machine has a dent :-(

Luckily it came with an extra guide post... But I'm curious if the top cylinder will work with the dent, or if it will hinder the piston inside from moving freely (I can cycle it by hand- but being new I'm not sure how far it's supposed to go). I guess I'll figure it out once I run it; Or at least know what kinda questions to ask you guys.

Thanks again,

Nooj

Are you talking about the presser foot cylinder? I've not actually taken the cylinders apart, but depending on how they are sealed and how the piston is built it might work. If you can cycle it by hand then I would say there is a pretty good chance it will work fine. I can't think of anything it would hurt other than the cylinder itself if it didn't work so I would go for it;)

Take care!

Luke

It's not the presser foot cylinder... It's on the very top and has the thread going through a hole in the end of the shaft. The 'take up cylinder' I think it's called.

Unfortunately I haven't had the time (nor a workbench or workshop) to test it out yet :-/ But it seems to have a decent amount of travel so perhaps it's ok :-)

Nooj

It's not the presser foot cylinder... It's on the very top and has the thread going through a hole in the end of the shaft. The 'take up cylinder' I think it's called.

Unfortunately I haven't had the time (nor a workbench or workshop) to test it out yet :-/ But it seems to have a decent amount of travel so perhaps it's ok :-)

Nooj

Not sure which bit your talking about, a picture of the part or a part number from the manual on Tippmann's site would probably clear it up though;)

Take care!

Luke

I happened across a Tippmann Aerostitch for sale on a classified ad website and decided to get it. I had it shipped from Montana to GA- It just came in yesterday, I went running out of the house barefoot to meet the UPS guy, lol.

Now I just need a bench to mount it to... oh, and a shop to work in :-/ and to learn how to use the thing. It may not be the Caddy of sewing machines, but something about the Aerostitch made me want one since I first saw them. I'm happy with my purchase, and have less invested thus far than I would've with a comparable electric machine.

Just thought I'd share :cheers: I'm sure I'll have questions for you experienced folk once I begin using it.

Nooj

post-14247-076588500 1299852574_thumb.jp

Those pieces of tape on the machine are "instructions" the previous owner put on to help me out ;-)

Hey, I just got one as well. If you have any words of advise please share. I am also looking for a bench to mount it on. If you have found something that works please let me know,

Hey, I just got one as well. If you have any words of advise please share. I am also looking for a bench to mount it on. If you have found something that works please let me know,

Harboer Freight has a heavy duty tool stand that works great. That's what I have mine mounted on. Only about $40 but you have to assemble it yourself.

Harboer Freight has a heavy duty tool stand that works great. That's what I have mine mounted on. Only about $40 but you have to assemble it yourself.

Got it yesterday, thanks very much! Now I am looking for the compressor. Whew, you really have to have a big one to get the air it needs. What did you end up buying?

Got it yesterday, thanks very much! Now I am looking for the compressor. Whew, you really have to have a big one to get the air it needs. What did you end up buying?

The one I bought was 3.5cfm. That is not enough to run continously but you don't really need to. There is an air reservoire with the compressor. Most folks can get by with one of the pancake compressors. It mostly depends on the type of sewing you are doing. If you are doing really long stitch runs at a fast speed you will need a larger compressor.

The one I bought was 3.5cfm. That is not enough to run continously but you don't really need to. There is an air reservoire with the compressor. Most folks can get by with one of the pancake compressors. It mostly depends on the type of sewing you are doing. If you are doing really long stitch runs at a fast speed you will need a larger compressor.

Thanks, that really helps.

Wish me luck, I am going to hook it up and try it tonight once I get the compressor and hook it up.

I would say most small compressors will work but like he said it's how long it keeps up the pressure. I ran on a really small one in my shop in the motohome for the first year+ without much issue just couldn't stitch a full belt etc without stopping to let it get pressure back up. I would put a small pressure guage near the machine and just watch to make sure your above about 80psi and if it gets down slow down or stop and wait for it to rebound. Either way they do run on smaller compressors fairly well. That said you can also add in an extra storage tank and get them to run longer between cycles, I used to run 2 extra 5 gallon tanks in line bringing my capacity up to around 15 gallons in my portable shop which helped allot. Longer cycles to the recover but less constant running. Because of my lack of space at the time the extra tanks worked when I didn't have enough room for a larger compressor.

Just a few other ideas;) Take care!

Luke

One other thing. Make sure you get an air filter to put inline between the compressor and the aerostitch. Keeps moisture out of your machine. Also pick up some air tool oil. Put four or five drops into the foot pedals oill inlet every time you use it.

One other thing. Make sure you get an air filter to put inline between the compressor and the aerostitch. Keeps moisture out of your machine. Also pick up some air tool oil. Put four or five drops into the foot pedals oill inlet every time you use it.