Sign in to follow this  
mworthan

Lacing The Back Billets On...

I've noticed several saddles here that lace the back billets on with a latigo lace as seen here on one of Mr. Wright's saddles...

saddle33.jpg Can this process be described or do I have to see it done? - Mike

Edited by mworthan

I've noticed several saddles here that lace the back billets on with a latigo lace as seen here on one of Mr. Wright's saddles...

saddle33.jpg Can this process be described or do I have to see it done? - Mike

In particular how the billets are laced so that the lace wraps around the outside edges of the billet? How do you start it? May not be able to be described...

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, the way I do it is................I've got 3 holes , in the relative shape of a triangle. I go through the bottom holes with my lace front to backside, then bring each side of the lace back around the edge, and back through the same bottom hole each side. Then, each side through the top hole back to front, and back through the same bottom hole again. It's harder to describe than it is to do. I use the same tie on my latigo tie straps. JW

That's very interesting. I know of 2 other ways to do this and get the same pattern. Similar of course to JW.

Make sure you have a strong piece of lace, beveled on both sides. I stroke mine on a piece of moist sponge and than glycerin saddle soap. Makes it slick. You can use dubbin it just makes it a little greasy to grab w/o pliers or somethng.

I go through the bottom 2 holes and out the back in equal lengths. Then up through the top hole, one at a time.Then one goes through the left bottom hole, and one on the right. At this time your lace is on the bottom back side of the billet. You can take leather pliers or horn pliers and gently twist the leather around in the hole so the top side can now come around the outer edge and then back through the hole, each time pulling the lace as tightly as possible without breaking. ( If you break it, try not to curse or weep profusely. It won't do any good. You usually will only break it if you're in a hurry or someone is watching.) If you see pictures of Harwood saddles he brings this piece around with the bottom side showing so he doesn't twist the lace. Now you have finished the pattern but I like to take the 2 ends and run them up through the lace that goes from the bottom hole to the top, crossing each other in the middle. Trim the lace off, then I hold a piece of steel behind the billet and hammer the lace job with a French hammer.

Same result as JW, just a little different way to chase that rabbit.