Dwight

I Need Some Help On A Holster Design

Several months back, . . . probably late at night (like tonight), . . . I was surfing around on the net, . . . perusing if you will, . . . and I saw a very unique looking holster.

Instead of being folded around the top of the barrel, . . . stitched under the trigger guard, . . . this was folded at the trigger guard, . . . stitched above the barrel.

Seems to me there was some kind of an East African connection to the name of the design, . . . but so help me, . . . I have been unable to re-find that design.

If you have a suggestion, connection, idea as to where I could find that again, . . . I'd surely say thank you, . . . in all caps.

May God bless,

Dwight

Several months back, . . . probably late at night (like tonight), . . . I was surfing around on the net, . . . perusing if you will, . . . and I saw a very unique looking holster.

Instead of being folded around the top of the barrel, . . . stitched under the trigger guard, . . . this was folded at the trigger guard, . . . stitched above the barrel.

Seems to me there was some kind of an East African connection to the name of the design, . . . but so help me, . . . I have been unable to re-find that design.

If you have a suggestion, connection, idea as to where I could find that again, . . . I'd surely say thank you, . . . in all caps.

May God bless,

Dwight

Your likely thinking of the Thad Rybka "Rhodesian" very nice simple design, as allot of his rigs are, I love his simple look and apparently business style. He doesn't have a website, nor post a phone number, you have to mail him to contact him;) Which I find to be well interesting in this day and age, but also adds allot to the intrigue of his work.

Could be wrong but that's the only rig I've seen built like that before;) It's kinda like an upside down speed scabbard, here is an example of the rig I'm talking about.

rybkaIPSC.JPG

Take care!

Luke

Thanks, Luke, . . . that IS the one.

I owe you one for sure, . . . and that IS one good looking holster.

May God bless,

Dwight

That's kinda cool...the stitching along the top of the barrel forms a nice front sight channel.

Very similar to the horizontal style Maimi Galco shoulder holsters... very cool.

Yep I like his work allot, just the style of it is very distinct. Even if you were to make a straight copy of his rig, it's different, and that's what makes this job/hobby fun;)

Take care!

Luke

Do you have a picture of the back of that holster?

Do you have a picture of the back of that holster?

Same model, different holster:

rybka_back.JPG

Here are a couple others of his work, different rigs:

1008318.jpg

None of these are my pics by the way, just some I found, I keep a collection, these are google search though.

Take care!

Luke

Though I didn't know the source (or that someone else had done it before) I stumbled across this idea myself a year or three ago. I've used this design for several pistols and the results were pretty good. The 'built-in' sight channel idea works better if you include a welt the thickness of the sight.

Though I didn't know the source (or that someone else had done it before) I stumbled across this idea myself a year or three ago. I've used this design for several pistols and the results were pretty good. The 'built-in' sight channel idea works better if you include a welt the thickness of the sight.

I should mention that Thad's rigs seem to always include a welt in the designs, somewhere I've got an edge picture of those rigs as well. But I agree, in my little bit of testing there wasn't any sight snag. I love the look of these rigs, but I'm a bit of a practical sort when it comes to carry and I don't like to sling a full sized 1911 on a single belt attachment, I prefer to distribute the weight even on a good gun belt. So I prefer two attachments but I do love the look of his rigs even if the carry of them isn't for me;)

Take care!

Luke

By the way, Luke, . . . just had to comment that you also have one fine looking 1911 in that brown holster.

I'll most likely never own a high end piece like that, . . . but I sure do like looking at em.

Thanks for the eye candy.

Here's my version for a LCP. It's just a prototype, . . . but I love the design.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-058084400 1300329286_thumb.jpg

By the way, Luke, . . . just had to comment that you also have one fine looking 1911 in that brown holster.

I'll most likely never own a high end piece like that, . . . but I sure do like looking at em.

Thanks for the eye candy.

Well I'm right there with ya sir;) I wish I could take credit but the gun/picture aren't mine, just one I found on the net. I do however carry a nice old beat up 1911 that was made in 1940's;) It however isn't very pretty, missing a great deal of the bluing from carry but it's a dang fine old shooter, this is a pic of it in my old horsehide rig before I upgraded to my fancy exotic Texas holster.

luke-a-1911edc.jpg

This is my current carry rig that happens to be on my hip at the moment with that gun in it;)

l-adams-ostrich.jpg

Here's my version for a LCP. It's just a prototype, . . . but I love the design.

May God bless,

Dwight

Looking good;) Interesting take on the design with the reinforcement piece, should work just fine with a light gun like that:)

Take care!

Luke