KnotHead

Doin A Bit Of Edge Lacing.

Hey all.

I was doin a bit of edge lacing today. Actually I've been toying around with even messing with edge lacing. Well a week ago I decided I needed a new Key Fob. So I made one and this is what I am coming up with so far. It's not done and I really don't know if I want to continue with it or not yet.

But anyway, the edge lacing is a variant of Ron Edwards fast back edge lacing. I got the instructions from Mike Storch my braiding mentor. He published this one in the APWA a while back. I think a couple of years ago. I have had this on my shelf to do for awhile but never got around to it. So what do you all think of it so far?

100_1390.jpg

B...

LOL... Thanks Megabit... I think... LMAO...

Got it all done. I'm not happy with it and the way things went while lacing. Damn what a migraine. I need to do this more... LOL...

100_1398.jpg

100_1396.jpg

Nough of my ramblings...

B...

Hell I think it turned out nice!!

Mike

Hi Mike.

The only things I'm not happy with are the corners, the gaps in the corners and the working end not meeting up with the standing end properly. The last part only tells me that I missed a part in the sequence somewhere in the middle of the braid. It'll do me till I get tired of looking at the mistakes. LOL.. Otherwise, outside the cutting out of the letters, I only have about 4 or 5 hours into that project. It actually went pretty fast once the braid pattern was started and past the point of setup. Yep, I still have the left overs of that migraine also. LOL...

B...

I like it! Wouldn't mind learning that braid myself...:)

I like it! Wouldn't mind learning that braid myself...:)

looks nice to me. I havent tried any lacing yet, but its coming onthe project at hand. I can see the gaps in the corners your talking about, how do you keep that from happening?

To keep the gaps from happening, I needed to add a few more holes to the corners. This is one braid that does requires concentration on the braiders behalf. Especially in the very start of the braid. This is where the pattern and hole counts are setup at so that the rest of the braid is setup for an over 1, under 2, over 2; and then coming back toward the bulk end of the braid, over 2, under 2, over 1 and through the hole. When the braid is set and going along nice, the coming back and through the hole, the lace is meeting up on a hole that already has lace running through the hole.

So you're actually going through a hole that is being pulled by the back and the one you push through the hole is actually pulling toward the front end of the braid. I know that it takes a bit of practice, concentration and some patience to do this edge braid. I would say that it is equal to learning Turks Heads and interweaves in the concentration department and patience department.

Thanks for all the kind comments.

B...

I like it. I'm gonna try my first edge braiding on a set of buckin rolls I'm workin on, to fancy them up since I'm not much of a tooler. I'll probably start with a lil simpler pattern. They are pretty much an oval shape so no sharp corners lol.

If you have Bruce Grants book you will find a very, very similar edge braid on pg 302 and 303 Plate 122.

Have fun...

B...

If you have Bruce Grants book you will find a very, very similar edge braid on pg 302 and 303 Plate 122.

Have fun...

B...

Thanks, I do and I'll give that a try... Now to find the time to finish that project up. :)

I'm doing something similar to that right now...but I'm doing the one in Bruce Grant's book. I'm putting it around a guitar strap, and it just keeps going...and going..and going! It's getting old!

I think your's looks great! I hope mine looks almost as good when I get it done! That may be when I'm old and gray, but oh, well....:rolleyes2:

LOL... I so understand that part Fiddle. No worries though. It'll get there. The end result is worth the work you're putting into it now.

@Nod; I look forward to seeing a post of your work when you're done with it.

B...

Edited by KnotHead

Thank you for the kind comment.

B...

I'll put some pics on when I get it done. I haven't posted any pics yet, the stuff you guys (and gals) make puts my stuff to shame. Practice, practice, practice right? :)

Brian - silly question here. When lacing edge like that, do you punch holes around the edge? The holes I pierce with my awl wouldn't be big enough I think.

There are different techniques to the holes. Your awl is one and punching holes like mine is another and then there is, using your awl, or a pair of lacing snips which is like your awl and then there are the ones that you use the hammer with that Tandy sells.

Depending on the size of your lace, the holes should be about of equal size and equally gaped by the width of your lace. Now you have a choice of whether you want to make those hole parallel the line around the edge, or angle them at a 45 degree slant. I like to see the angle myself and it does cover and blend really well that way.

I look forward to seeing your work when done.

B...

Attached is one I am working on now for a friend of mine. 45 degree slits and a much smaller lace.

post-1307-001174800 1300942479_thumb.jpg post-1307-031508800 1300942482_thumb.jpg

post-1307-047969100 1300942487_thumb.jpg post-1307-095719000 1300942490_thumb.jpg

post-1307-031737500 1300942494_thumb.jpg

I actually did some more research on this particular braid. I had to look up the tables in one of AG Schaake's and John Turners pamphlets. This has a herringbone coding. Most likely it takes on a 12 strand herringbone code but done with only one string. Just an interesting tid bit of info.

B...

Edited by KnotHead

I hadn't seen this type of edge lacing before but I have to say I really do like it.

I can understand why your frustrated with your own one with the gaps, but it doesn't look to bad I think. I rather like it.

The one your making for your friend looks very cool too, is it a gift or was it a commission? Cant wait to see it finished either way.

Looks tiny too, I love tiny workings of art, you can carry more of them in less space hehe

I hadn't seen this type of edge lacing before but I have to say I really do like it.

I can understand why your frustrated with your own one with the gaps, but it doesn't look to bad I think. I rather like it.

The one your making for your friend looks very cool too, is it a gift or was it a commission? Cant wait to see it finished either way.

Looks tiny too, I love tiny workings of art, you can carry more of them in less space hehe

It's actually just a gift and gives me the practice at this type of braiding at the same time. I'll start to do commissioned pieces probably next month, or I'll even start to do combined artist pieces where one artist does one job and then sends the piece to me for the edge braiding to be done. Combined works of two or 3 different artists is something else to see done.

The lace in this one is only about 1.3mm wide or there about. I think that this one should end up a lot better than the last one I did.

Thanks for the kind comment.

B...

Well I guess I can come out with it. I've been holding this info back for a bit. That KHWW key fob was my very first edge braid ever. I guess it's not too bad. But as I have learned with braiding that it ALL takes practice to get it just right.

B...

Very good job - like we would expect anything else from you.

Uh Oh... The bar has been raised. LOL...

B...

I will agree with everyone else I like the looks of this braid. I think that could be a VERY good seller. Don't know if you go to craft shows or not but could make a few up and have pre-cut letters to put on them to personalize it for the buyer, Real nice. :notworthy: