Shorts

Arbor Press To Line 24 Snap Press

I had been look for a line 24 snap press for a little bit. I got a great suggestion from Sharpshooter here on the forum to adapt an arbor press. So, I purchased a 1T arbor press from Northern Tool for ~$69, drilled the arbor ram and adapted the current cheapo line 24 setter punch to do the job.

1T arbor press, cleaned up and degreased

SnapPress.jpg

Arbor holes drilled, one tapped, measuring setter punch

SnapPress1.jpg

Cutting setter punch to length

SnapPress2.jpg

Smooth off the edge and round it out

SnapPress3.jpg

Insert setter punch into ram rod and snug with set screw.

SnapPress4.jpg

Final product. I swapped the swiveling base plate with one of my smaller press plates for stability.

SnapPress5.jpg

Edited by Shorts

Nice pictorial.....show the results?

Snapresult.jpg

Snapresult2.jpg

First run through with the press. Rollover is a bit off center and a hint flat ("too much power captain!"). I attribute the flat rollover to my muscles (though could be the 1T capacity of the press). I need to find the sweet spot. The offcenter is probably my technique but I'm really pinning it on the nonsymmetrical, offcenter nature of the setter punch tip itself. I've inspected closely and it isn't perfectly round. Quick spin on a lathe would sort it right out.

I'm only working with one arm so really any tool that changes a swing the hammer/punch method to a press method is an upgrade.

Edited by Shorts

Thanks, Monica. I've got an old Arbor press that has been howling for some work. I know exactly what I'm going to do with it now!

Ray

Thanks for the pics Monica, I was a little curious about whether the press would get a good roll or if it would split the tube. Your pic answers my question very well. I also agree that the setter tools are not always "top shelf", and the setter is more to blame than technique. Overall, it looks like a fantastic idea and a great use of ingenuity. Thanks for posting the idea.

I think the best roll would come from a spinning punch.

Something you could turn by hand and add pressure at the same time, like a chain rivet spinner.

Thanks, Monica. I've got an old Arbor press that has been howling for some work. I know exactly what I'm going to do with it now!

Ray

You're welcome! :)

Thanks for the pics Monica, I was a little curious about whether the press would get a good roll or if it would split the tube. Your pic answers my question very well. I also agree that the setter tools are not always "top shelf", and the setter is more to blame than technique. Overall, it looks like a fantastic idea and a great use of ingenuity. Thanks for posting the idea.

You're welcome too! :) The force can be regulated since it is just hand crank. I might put some indicator marks somewhere once I find them.

I think the best roll would come from a spinning punch.

Something you could turn by hand and add pressure at the same time, like a chain rivet spinner.

I agree. In fact, it's what I did with the hammer and punch in order to try to keep things straight. Your suggestion immediately made me think of an old hand cranked screw press. I had to look up a chain rivet spinner but looks like it would do the job.

The problem comes in trying to secure the snap while you spin it.

For chain link they lock in a jig but I don't know how you would keep a snap from spinning.

Kevin.

Question, is this 1 ton arbor press adequate for stamping 3-d stamps, makers stamps, etc??

Also, would this 6 ton press be way way over-kill for a leather worker?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/tls/2311055906.html

Thanks ya'll!!

Edited by Rayban

Question, is this 1 ton arbor press adequate for stamping 3-d stamps, makers stamps, etc??

Also, would this 6 ton press be way way over-kill for a leather worker?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/tls/2311055906.html

Thanks ya'll!!

Yes that press will be a bit overkill. I think it'd be cumbersome to use and a little less precise for smaller items. Bump up the jack to at least a 10T or 12T, add some press plates and you can use it as a clicker.

12Tclickerpress.jpg

Just wanted to update. Yesterday I finally bolted down the press to my workbench. That has taken care of the slightly crooked snap that I show pictured in my first post.

So, rest assured you can get a quality install of snaps using this method.

ok, yall have a good week. :spoton: