These are the last two holsters I made for a Deputy in my home town before I left for P.I. Since being on this forum I can't wait to get back stateside to open up the shop again. The members here make some awesome holsters and leathercraft.

Stingray for a Commander

IMG_0402.jpg

Shark for a full size 1911

IMG_0401.jpg

Nice work, Rhome! I have seen some of your work before, and I can typically pick your holsters out of a crowd as they seem to have a consistent style. I really love the look of the stingray, but I hate working with the stuff. My toro tends to snap the bumps off as it stitches, and edging it is a real pain! Any tips for those of us with little stingray experience?

Very nice :clapping:

Hi Jeff, I agree Ray is a pain to sew, the only way I know is to sew it from the back side by doing it that way you will not break off as many needle tips and the needle point tends to bend it's way around the bead. Another way but not tried is to put a small cutting wheel in your dremal and " groove " a stitch line in. I won't try this method in fear of ruining the stingray which you know costs a few bucks.

Hope this helps,

Rhome

Rhome, the holsters look great. I'm tempted to start trying exotic skins but I handstitch so I'm thinking it'd be pretty tough.

Anyhow, great work. You mentioned P.I (a familiar term). Are you military?

Shorts, No I was in the military in the early 70's. Last year my wife passed away so I decided to travel some. Ended up in the Philippines, been here for about 1 1/2 years, remarried and waiting for passports and visa's for wife and daughter then I'll be coming stateside again to resume my holster business. Can't wait to get home !

As for hand stitching exotics, I'd stay away from stingray, shark is much like stitching veg.tanned, lizard is thin so be careful.

Best,

Rhome

Edited by Rhome

Very nice work, I was a bit concerned by the title, thought you were not going to make holsters anymore. Would be a shame. LOL

Thanks Jordon, No I can't wait to get back Stateside to open up shop again, holster making is in my blood, it's an addiction !! Since I've been in the Philippines I've had time to make new holster patterns and now I'm itch'en to sew them up and see how they work out....ahh more R&D.

Best,

Rhome

Rhome - I bet you can't get back fast enough. We're currently up in Japan (hubby is AD Navy) and I too am looking forward to getting to the States to really set up shop. Good luck with the paperwork and I hope your move goes well! :)

Sure look great.

Rhome

Nice job on your holsters. I'm sure you will be glad to be stateside again and building holsters.

Randy

Fantastic look. I love the diamond insert... that is very cool. B)

nice looking rigs.

when i first saw some ray at my local leather supplier, i didnt know what it was. if you didnt know better, you would think it was man made.