Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Elephant Hide

I bought one of the grab bags from Springfield Leather and it came with a variely of elephant hides, different colors, textures, and patterns. Some of it is meh, some of it looks awesome.

Just wondering if anyone has worked with it on a holster before, and if so, can the edges be burnished like regular cowhide or does something different need to be done to it?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

I bought one of the grab bags from Springfield Leather and it came with a variely of elephant hides, different colors, textures, and patterns. Some of it is meh, some of it looks awesome.

Just wondering if anyone has worked with it on a holster before, and if so, can the edges be burnished like regular cowhide or does something different need to be done to it?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

i also just received a bag of elephant and a bag of ostrich. have not had time to do anything with it , but it has some nice pieces in them

I use it all the time. There are different "textures" from different parts of the body. The main body is the most common form seen. Personally, I like the trunk and tail textures much more. The one pictured has elephant trunk.

EagleDefendewElephantTrunk.jpg

I use it all the time. There are different "textures" from different parts of the body. The main body is the most common form seen. Personally, I like the trunk and tail textures much more. The one pictured has elephant trunk.

EagleDefendewElephantTrunk.jpg

Looks sort of like what I had planned to do. Did you dress the edges or leave them as cut?

If using it as a trim I will first glue it to a piece of 2-3 oz, sometimes heavier depending on the application. This allows me to burnish the edge a little easier, giving it some structure. sand the edges just as you would on your holster. I get down to a 400 grit, wet the edge with spit (nothing works as god as wiping spit on it) then burnish it. It is one of the tougher hides to burnish, but you can get there.

Sig1911RDSOmahogcharceleph3.jpg

I have very limited experience working with exotics - first holster was just completed using elephant as a functional overlay piece.

I like working with the elephant and imho the finished product has a great look and feel to it.

OWB holster with removable IWB loops - no sweat shield or thumb break.