equiss

2 Things - Rope Bag And Rope Can

I have never been able to inspect either of these items up close, but want to learn to make a rope bag (for headers and healers) and rope cans. I know that rope cans typically use the plastic rope cans you can buy, but then how much of them end up covered with tooled leather? Just the sides? any of the insides? Then the larger challenge, a rope bag with two sides, one for heading ropes and one for healing ropes. There are no patterns I can find for these, and I have only been able to inspect a few, not enough to go home and make one. Can anyone share a pattern and instructions on how to make one? Any information would be so grateful. I haven't been able to find much information about these items in books, and haven't seen many in my neck of the woods (Western Oregon), so I don't get much of a chance to study them up close and personal, but REALLY want to make them one of my next projects.

thank you all

Charlene

Charlene,

The quick and dirty rsponse is this. Most of the rope cans I do are just covered on the top. I tool up the circle patch, finish it, and glue it down. I also use conchos to keep things together. I haven't had to reglue any of mine yet, but have some others. I have done a few that we covered the sides too and they were a pain to fit up, but came out alright. A lot more time involved with those. The ropes inside are treated with powder, so any leather inside is going to get covered in powder pretty fast. The biggest reason they are only covered in the front is most rope cans are thrown down in the dirt. Here's a an example of that - http://fineartamerica.com/featured/rope-cans-carol-miller.html . At least two of the cans in that picture are mine and maybe a third. I need to order it for my wall.

Rope bags are a whole other deal. I mkae them from 18" to 22" diameter. Usually I put a gusste in that finishes out to be 6" and a heavy zipper. Some guys like a flap over bag and I make some of those too. If I inlay on them they are lined, otherwise not. Some like shoulder straps, some like handles in shirt medium or long. They defintitey aren't a one-size-fits all project.

If you want to give me a call we can go over any details you need help with.

Bruce

Do you put rope diveders in your bags are is there only 1 pocket ?

Al

I have put dividers in some flat tops. I have made some round bags with two compartments each with their own zipper. I still have a couple of those plastic rope can divders left and they work alright for the round bags and rope cans too.

I have never been able to inspect either of these items up close, but want to learn to make a rope bag (for headers and healers) and rope cans. I know that rope cans typically use the plastic rope cans you can buy, but then how much of them end up covered with tooled leather? Just the sides? any of the insides? Then the larger challenge, a rope bag with two sides, one for heading ropes and one for healing ropes. There are no patterns I can find for these, and I have only been able to inspect a few, not enough to go home and make one. Can anyone share a pattern and instructions on how to make one? Any information would be so grateful. I haven't been able to find much information about these items in books, and haven't seen many in my neck of the woods (Western Oregon), so I don't get much of a chance to study them up close and personal, but REALLY want to make them one of my next projects.

thank you all

Charlene

i have done several rope bags some with single zippers some with double zippers and deviders. i have inclosed one that i just finished if you want to call me i would be happy to answer any questions i can for you hope this helpspost-20640-038911800 1301358298_thumb.jp

Thank you to you both, you both do beautiful work....my tooling still needs work, but getting there - I think I better start with the can, then maybe the bag! Thanks for the offers to help, you'll be hearing from me :)

Hi.... I am also interested in making one!! Are your rope bags a complete circle or is it a slight oval??

Thanks

Gypsy Leather

Hi.... I am also interested in making one!! Are your rope bags a complete circle or is it a slight oval??

Thanks

Gypsy Leather

all my rope bags are round they have a pocket on the side for powder and gloves, most have a double zipper and a divider in the center hope this helps let me know if i can be of any more help john

Charlene,

The quick and dirty rsponse is this. Most of the rope cans I do are just covered on the top. I tool up the circle patch, finish it, and glue it down. I also use conchos to keep things together. I haven't had to reglue any of mine yet, but have some others. I have done a few that we covered the sides too and they were a pain to fit up, but came out alright. A lot more time involved with those. The ropes inside are treated with powder, so any leather inside is going to get covered in powder pretty fast. The biggest reason they are only covered in the front is most rope cans are thrown down in the dirt. Here's a an example of that - http://fineartameric...rol-miller.html . At least two of the cans in that picture are mine and maybe a third. I need to order it for my wall.

Rope bags are a whole other deal. I mkae them from 18" to 22" diameter. Usually I put a gusste in that finishes out to be 6" and a heavy zipper. Some guys like a flap over bag and I make some of those too. If I inlay on them they are lined, otherwise not. Some like shoulder straps, some like handles in shirt medium or long. They defintitey aren't a one-size-fits all project.

If you want to give me a call we can go over any details you need help with.

Do you put the conchos thru the leather and can? Any special glue? I have made a couple but want to use the conchos and make sure the leather stays down and not have to reglue! Your cans and other work are gorgeous!!

Aleta

Aleta,

I do put the conchos through the lid. I do a few every year where someone has a can already and I normally have them just send me the lid. If they can't spare it I do send just the leather for someone locally to glue it on for them. I have one going to Canada tomorrow that it was too expensive to mail the lid both ways. I made up an instruction sheet a while back for these customers, and will cut and paste it here -

Gluing Rope Can Lids

This is the way I attach the leather to the lids of rope cans. I have not had any come loose following this technique. I have reglued some for other guys, and had a few loosen early on. This way now has worked out to be the best for me.

First off the ropecan, leather and contact cement should be room temperature. For glue I have been using Renia the last couple years. Before that I was using Masters and Barge original AP and they both were alright, but not the quick strong bond that I get with Renia. I have had poor luck with Duall 88.

I first lay the leather on the lid of the rope can and line everything up. The holes for the silver conchos are already punched. I use them to mark the holes for the machine screws on the back to go through the lid. I mark and drill holes through the lid with a bit just large enough for the size of the screw shank.

I rough up the lid of the rope can for better glue adhesion. I usually use a welder’s wire brush and then wipe all the dust off. I put a thin coat of glue on the leather and let it dry thoroughly to make a base. Usually it takes about an hour or so. Then I put another even layer of glue on the lid and another on the leather. I wait until the glue is mostly dry but still a little tacky. If it seems a little too dry I hit the leather side with a heat gun to tack things up a little more.

Then I put wax paper on the lid to separate the lid and leather until I am ready for it to stick. I use saddle spikes in the punched concho holes to line things up. I go through the wax paper and into the holes in the lid. When things are close I pull the wax paper a piece at time and lightly press that section in place. Once I have all of the paper out, I make sure things are definitely lined up and then press pretty well with my hand all around. I work it over a few times to get a good bond. I leave it about 24 hours for the bond to cure. I normally weight them overnight. I lay the lid face down on a clean thin towel like a Motel 6 towel, and then put a weight on the inside of the lid. 20-30 pounds is fine. The last thing is to attach the conchos with the machine screws. I put a few sizes in, so that should get it done.

thank you all

Charlene

hello charlene, all my rope bags are round and most have a diveder, and bouble zipper all come with shoulder strap, and all have small pocket on the front, and all mine have a stiffner in each side and i line all of them , i have one on my gallery that i finished recently, if i can help feel free to give me a call and i will try to answer any other questions for you hope this helps john

post-20640-034718500 1303424778_thumb.jp

Bruce,

Thanks you so much for the quick and detailed reply! I appreciate it!:thumbsup: I have one that I will have to try this with!

Thanks again

Aleta