Sign in to follow this  
Maus

How To Age Metals?

I know that vinegar is wonderful for aging brass, but is there a way to get that blue green patina on copper quickly? I'm trying to put some copper leaf on a peice I"m fiddling with and I want it to have that patina creeping up on it to make it look old and abandoned. Does any one have any experience with this? I have heard I can try salt water but I"m not sure how long that will take... and I will admit I'm not terribly patient. If will take weeks I'm not sure I'm willing to wait that long. If it takes a day or two that isn't too bad.

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

If you look up someone who supplies copperfoil for leadlighting, they will have little bottle of 'patina' for sale that will do the trick, you can get black or blue green pre mix stuff

Natalie

Here is a site thats has a load of different formulas for variuos metals and differents colors Patina Formulas. You can also buy a chemical that does it, Jantz. add to that Ferric chloride (circuit board etchant from Radio Shack) has a different effect as does plain old household bleach fumes.Dave

Thanks!!! You guys really are not more then enablers... and thats awesome. ;)

I know that vinegar is wonderful for aging brass, but is there a way to get that blue green patina on copper quickly? I'm trying to put some copper leaf on a peice I"m fiddling with and I want it to have that patina creeping up on it to make it look old and abandoned. Does any one have any experience with this? I have heard I can try salt water but I"m not sure how long that will take... and I will admit I'm not terribly patient. If will take weeks I'm not sure I'm willing to wait that long. If it takes a day or two that isn't too bad.

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

hello i use oxzic acid to age all my metal you can buy it at lowe's you have to use it outside because the fumes are to strong to use inside. it works great for me and it is real inexpensive and easy to get more localy if you need it hope this helps john

hello i use oxzic acid to age all my metal you can buy it at lowe's you have to use it outside because the fumes are to strong to use inside. it works great for me and it is real inexpensive and easy to get more localy if you need it hope this helps john

I like that idea, but i have a slight hindrance... I don't speak Italian... and I"m not sure where I could find a hardware store here that would carry it... or where a hardware store is at all. Lamentably, I don't get off of the base very often.