Sign in to follow this  
Nod4Eight

"flint Hides"

Hi all - Grant talks about "flint hides" as being hides that have dried (a result of not working the hide immediately). Has anyone worked with hides like this? What care is needed to store them? Is it sufficient to keep them in a cool, dry place until I have time and place to work them? I might have bitten off more than I can chew as I just received more than a dozen hides. They are mostly goat, but some are sheep as well. I've never heard of sheep rawhide, anyone work with this before? It seems to me that it would be pretty stretchy. Oh, and there hides are much better quality than that 1st goat hide I got lol.

Thanks for all the help!

got a freezer? you can store them in a freezer till your ready...

I would recomend if you are storing them at above freezing temperatures to at least flesh the hides the best you can, the hides are alot less likely to spoil and stink if they don't have any fat or meat left on them. I had a bad experience once with a poorly fleshed hide.

I do have a freezer, but after the last hide I put in there I would be in heck if I did. Also, there are more hides than my freezer will hold. I will flesh out the bad ones, these guys actually did a good job. I'm thinking the root cellar will work good, laying them flat. Thanks for the responses!