I did a search of this section to see if I could find any information about lasts but since the search returned 0 results I thought I would make a post to see if anyone might be able to help me out.

Since getting involved in leatherworking I've become more and more interested in making shoes and boots. The thing that eludes me is finding information on making lasts. Why would I want to make lasts? I guess it has to do with my DIY nature. I like the idea of being able to make the things I need to do different jobs. I've been considering ordering a copy of the book American Last Making from shoetrades.com, but at $68 for a copy I'm a bit afraid of ordering yet another book on shoe making and it not being what I need. Does anyone have any knowledge of this book or last making in general? It seems to be an area of shoe making that has either been completely abandoned in the circle of available information, or it's something that's so closely guarded that those of us who want to do it as part of our hobbies will never be able to learn it. As I said I've considered ordering American Last Making, but at that price I just hate to risk the cash if the book isn't really going to tell you how to layout and make a last.

Chris

I did a search of this section to see if I could find any information about lasts but since the search returned 0 results I thought I would make a post to see if anyone might be able to help me out.

Since getting involved in leatherworking I've become more and more interested in making shoes and boots. The thing that eludes me is finding information on making lasts. Why would I want to make lasts? I guess it has to do with my DIY nature. I like the idea of being able to make the things I need to do different jobs. I've been considering ordering a copy of the book American Last Making from shoetrades.com, but at $68 for a copy I'm a bit afraid of ordering yet another book on shoe making and it not being what I need. Does anyone have any knowledge of this book or last making in general? It seems to be an area of shoe making that has either been completely abandoned in the circle of available information, or it's something that's so closely guarded that those of us who want to do it as part of our hobbies will never be able to learn it. As I said I've considered ordering American Last Making, but at that price I just hate to risk the cash if the book isn't really going to tell you how to layout and make a last.

Chris

You can find quite a bit of info on the HCC website.... that is if you can figure your way around the completely archaic software it runs on.

http://www.thehcc.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

or maybe this link works better - http://www.thehcc.org/discus/messages/4/1014.html

Thank you very much for the links.

Chris

Larry Waller carries about the only book on the subject that I know of.

http://www.walrusshoe.com/books_pages/lasts.htm

There are several members on the HCC site who have made lasts. Spend some time there for more info.

Thanks. I came across the book that Larry has, and I plan to order that today.

Chris