Sign in to follow this  
james  m

Leather Weld

Hi there,

I've just made my first thing. how do you remove all of the glue and cardboard from the back of your work piece? I've tried dipping the sponge in hot water and moisening it but is there an easier way?

Thanks

James

I use a gum eraser that you can get at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby. I am sure that any reputable art store will have it as well. Maybe even Target or Walmart?

it works for me, but it will raise all of the flesh skin up. As for the card board, I have used my finger nails, scapel or skiving knife to carefully pull it up to remove and go over it with the eraser.

Good luck

personally that is one reason I just use the blue painters tape on the back. It is much easier to remove.

Hi there,

I've just made my first thing. how do you remove all of the glue and cardboard from the back of your work piece? I've tried dipping the sponge in hot water and moisening it but is there an easier way?

Thanks

James

Did you use Tandy Leather Weld instead or rubber cement? That is a pva white glue. Don't use that. Use rubber cement. Or tape.

Yes, im using the leather weld that came with the kit. If you use tape how to you prevent damaging the piece or is it a double sided?

I use regular (cheapo) shelving paper, cost of a roll at Wal-Mart is about .99 - 1.99 a roll. If I am working on a belt, I will use regular packaging tape. I did use the white and blue tape before, but I found that it allowed movement/stretching of the leather, so I move on.

Good luck

3M packing tape works great applied to the flesh side of the leather. Doesn't harm leather. If I am doing a piece with a lot of basketweave or backgrounding, I will rubber cement the packing tape to a piece of plexiglass. Stops any distortions, and a whole lot easier than trying to get glue off leather.

Terry

Yes, im using the leather weld that came with the kit. If you use tape how to you prevent damaging the piece or is it a double sided?

If I use blue painter's tape the adhesive is relativley weak and does not damage the rough side of the leather.l If I use clear packing tape, it raises a rough nap on the rough side. If i'm lining the piece with lining leather, no biggie. If I'm not lining the piece, use some gum trag and a slicker to smooth it back down.