Sign in to follow this  
SACameron

1858 McClellan Saddle

I have an 1858 McClellan reproduction made by Doug Kidd. I also have a 1904 McClellan saddle that I want to make into an 1858. My question is what should I treat my 1904 McClellan tree with to protect it from the elements. After I took the leather off of it the raw hide is dry and unprotected. The newer made repro has a clear coating of some type on it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Steve,

We use a Spar Varnish on our trees, designed for above water use on boats, etc. It is very water resistant, but they still don't say to use it for the underwater stuff. We use the matte finish because glues will hold to it without scuffing, which breaks the water barrier of the varnish and may make it more susceptible to moisture damage. I think the more shiny finishes are a bit harder, but often need to be scuffed to hold glues well. Talk to knowledgeable people about the pros and cons of the different varnishes. Make sure you use an adequate number of coats of it and fill any gaps in the seams well if it will be exposed.

And post some pictures as you go too! Would love to see how it is coming along.

A couple questions for you now, if you don't mind...

We had a saddle maker send us some information from the American Military Saddle 1775-1945 book (or maybe that is just the chapter?) on the McClellan Saddle Tree. It talks about the early patterns as being 1859 and 1864. From this maker we also learned that there is difference in pommel shape between the Federal and Confederate 1859 McClellan trees. As well, there are differences in the trees between 1859 and 1864. So I am wondering how you are changing a 1904 saddle to a 1858 saddle. Are you modifying the tree or leaving it alone and just changing the leatherwork? I am assuming there are changes in that too. All the information we received was on the tree.

Just curious. Learning more history on saddles lately and this is another branch to go down. Thanks.

Edited by Rod and Denise Nikkel

A couple questions for you now, if you don't mind...

We had a saddle maker send us some information from the American Military Saddle 1775-1945 book (or maybe that is just the chapter?) on the McClellan Saddle Tree. It talks about the early patterns as being 1859 and 1864. From this maker we also learned that there is difference in pommel shape between the Federal and Confederate 1859 McClellan trees. As well, there are differences in the trees between 1859 and 1864. So I am wondering how you are changing a 1904 saddle to a 1858 saddle. Are you modifying the tree or leaving it alone and just changing the leatherwork? I am assuming there are changes in that too. All the information we received was on the tree.

Just curious. Learning more history on saddles lately and this is another branch to go down. Thanks.

Rod,

Thanks so much for the info. First I have to state that I am not an expert on saddles. In Fact I noticed I put the wrong year for the saddle in the first place. I deal with 1858 Remington Revolvers alot and meant to say 1859 McClellan. Ooops. I would highly recommend the book you mentioned. I just got my copy this week. I had one on loan for about 3 months last year and it is really really intersting. I got mine for $66 new on Amazon.

From a glance through the book, you are correct there was an 1859 and an 1864 model of McClellan. The Civil war era trees were recycled until 1896. As you know the McClellan saddle went through several models. I think it was with the 1904 that the tree changed. I will be very honest that I am just not sure what the changes are. I will read more and can offer a more definative answer soon.

It is a common CW reenacting practice to use 1904 trees to make look alike 1859s. What we do is horse drawn artillery. We need lots of saddles, 6 per gun is regulation, and we needed that many at least. I bought 2 Grimsley saddles reproductions for $1000 each, but I certainly can't afford 6/8 of them. They also proved to be very uncomfortable, my drivers refuses to use them, so I bought 7 1904s off Ebay ranging from $150-$250. Out of all of those only one had rotten stiching so I removed the leather to make a cavalry (rather than drivers) saddle. Now from the book, American military saddles there are references to McClellan drivers saddles, but I am not aware of a surviving original, so leaving the leather on the seat, is a stretch as well. What I did was dye the saddle black, add skirts, change stirrups, and chnge the girth arrangement. I also added staples to the couple of non artillery saddles to start with. So admitadely what I have done is not 100% accurate, but I think it is reasonable. I do know the Confederates used regular jennifer saddles (very close to the McClellans) with staples and different stirrups as artillery saddles.

Doug Kidd's web site, Border States leatherworks has pictures of all of the variations of McClellan saddles.

Now I have proved how little I know.

Thanks again,

Steve

There is a website called The Society of The Military Horse that has quite a lot of info on McClellans, of all the variants, and quite a few threads on making, restoring, and so on.

www.militaryhorse.org/

Gary