I havent logged on in a while. The weather's been nice so I've been doing a lot of riding. I barrel Race LOL. Well During the winter I made some Spur straps and did a little carving, it turned out fairly well considering it was my first time. I didnt have all the tools needed to do a lot of finishing work. All I have are a box knife, swivel knife, and a tracing/spoon tool. So as a result the edges of my spurs straps aren't very straight or finished out but once I dyed them and they got dirty you can't really tell it. Oh and I made some bronc nosebands. And now I find myself back in house because of an injury and I can't stand sitting around, so I'm trying to find something to do LOL.

So now I want to make some reins to run barrels in. I was gonna buy some, but since I can't ride for a while, I mines well try to make my own LOL. I'm thinking the the laced ones, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Is there any books or patterns that I can get that will show how to do the lacing? Also what kinda leather is the reins made out of?

what kind of lacing are you wanting? are you talking about english lacing? that is were the lace is spiraled down the rein, or did you mean a braided rein? if your asking about a flat leather rein then you can use bridle leather, harness leather or latigo leather...basically whatever kind you like.

what kind of lacing are you wanting? are you talking about english lacing? that is were the lace is spiraled down the rein, or did you mean a braided rein? if your asking about a flat leather rein then you can use bridle leather, harness leather or latigo leather...basically whatever kind you like.

I'm not sure what kinda lacing it is. But it's something like this http://www.smithbrothers.com/cactus-harness-latigo-laced-barrel-rein/p/X3-0256/cn/919/ If I buy the leather does this kind of leather come in oz like the tooling leather or do they measure it a different way?

yup that is called english lacing, it is not hard. you punch holes down the middle and take a long piece of lace, in the case of the rein in your example its latigo lace, then you spiral the lace down the rein half the lace on each side. im not sure how the ends are finished off perhaps someone on here that makes english tack can chime in.

yes harness, latigo and bridle leathers are measured in ounces just like tooling leather. they are mostly sold by the side or back. most of the single ply reins ive seen are around 10/11 oz size. you can buy latigo lace precut i think.

im not sure how the ends are finished off perhaps someone on here that makes english tack can chime in.

At the starting point you wrap over the free end to tie it down. Then at the far end you take the tail end of the lace and thread it back under the lacing you just finished.

yes harness, latigo and bridle leathers are measured in ounces just like tooling leather. they are mostly sold by the side or back. most of the single ply reins ive seen are around 10/11 oz size. you can buy latigo lace precut i think.

10/11 might be a little thin, I'd suggest 12/14 for barrel reins.

Dan

Edited by dbusarow

I usually just make my lace out of bridle leather, that way you can cut whatever width you want. Then I bevel the top edges and dye the edge. Then I split it down to the weight I want, I think it's easier to dye the edge while it is full thickness. Then I lube up the lace with some type of saddle soap, I use glycerine or Tattersal's. Lace it up, go back and tighten the lace.

On English reins, to finish, you just skive the ends of your lace and put 5 or 6 stitches in to hold the ends of the lace.

If I was doing those reins pictured, I would wrap the ends around the rein and splice and stitch them together in a loop so it would look like the beginning of the lacing and then work the slack back.

Hope that makes some sense,

Kevin

PS You don't have to worry about burnishing the lace, that happens naturally as you pull it through the holes.

Edited by Kevin

I'm looking at leather and I see both this http://springfieldleather.com/store/product/15778/Side%2CHarness%2CHot-Stf%2CBlk%2C10-12/ and this http://springfieldleather.com/store/product/15790/Side%2CLatigo%2CBurgundy%2C7-8oz/

I know I want my reins to be at least 7ft long. Would this leather be long enough and about how many reins could I get out of this side? Or is there some leather I can buy somewhere that has it in smaller quantities since I'm just starting out making reins?