Ladykahu

Lining Question

Hi all

I am making myself an ebook cover, but am having trouble working out how to best handle the lining

I want to use some chrome tanned suede as the lining, but what do I do at the edges? the main cover is veg tanned embossed leather that I will burnish the edges on.

But if I take the lining all the way to the edge I don't think it will burnish will it? I am planning on stitching around the edge as I also am putting in an inner pocket on one side.

Do I just take the lining to the point of the stitching, and leave a tiny gap away from the edge? the main cover is only 4mm thick leather though, so I hadn't planned on stitching to far away from the edge (following the guidelines from 'sewing leather cases' about stitching lines being the same distance in as the thickness of the leather).

Can some wise person point me in the right direction please?

thanks Natalie

Can anyone help? please?

Natalie

Hi Natalie,

I can tell you what I would do. I would skive the cover, then during assembly, roll the cover over the edge and sew it. Then use a straight edge (a thin one) under the rolled over part to trim right up to the stitching. I usually put the straight edge under the leather right next to the stitches so you don't cut the liner. You need to work out the corners, some of the books show how this is done or you can go to your Tandy and they can show you. Do a couple of practice runs before you do the real thing. With 4oz leather, you might not have to skive, maybe just relieve the back with a groover or french edger (gently). Contact cement can help a lot.

Art

Can anyone help? please?

Natalie

I dont know about the thinner leathers but when I make things like rifle slings and what not I use 8oz body and suede splits for the shoulder padding that is about 4oz. This I run right to the edge and stitch about 3/16 in back from the edge. I then bevel the edges on both sides. This usually cuts the suede at a rounded angle back away from the leather. I then burnish like normal and the edge of the suede smooths out along with the edge of the leather it is glued to. Looks pretty good IMHO but not sure on longevity of the edge.

I will try to find one of my older pictures to show you what it looks like.

EDIT: here is a kindle cover I made that shows what I am talking about. I did this pretty much the same way. It is horse hide with suede lining.

post-5781-049008600 1306284089_thumb.jpg

Edited by MADMAX22

Thanks for those replies guys

Art - I considered a rolled edge, but really prefer the look of burnished for this project

Max, thats exactly the info I was looking for, and the picture helped heaps..

Cheers

Natalie