Sign in to follow this  

Here is my latest belt that I am working on for a dear friend of mine named Mark Martin from Virginia. He and I go way back and I recently received a visit from him while he was passing by the capitol city. It had been quite a spell since I last saw him in person. I offered him an opportunity to wear one of my belts and he took me up on the offer. He was not particular on the design and told me to surprise him. I really like customers like this. After clearing this design through my Q&A section, off I went. I used my Barry King Shell tool. I really like the design. I have used it on a couple of portfolios and book covers, but never on a belt.

I am waiting for the oil to soak in and off to the dyeing stage. More information on my leather blog.

Happy carving!

post-6330-088009900 1307416554_thumb.jpg

Thats a really beautiful design. Ive been contemplating stamping out a belt or two myself. Nice and neat!

You mentioned the Oil soaking in. What is the reason and what is the oil. Im very new to leatherwork but like the leather I soak it all up!

Very nice tight work.

Steve

Steve.......thanks for the comments. Typically, for me, I will apply a light coat of oil to my leather project. As for the oil, if I am using Tandy leather or any other leather that is lighter in color, I will use Neatsfoot oil because (for me) it applies a slight tint in color to the leather. I will usually place the project in the sun for a bit to really tan the leather. If I am using Wickett & Craig or my favorite Hermann Oak leather, I will use Extra Virgin Olive Oil on the project. I do not want to change the color so much but just apply some nutrients back into the leather.

I will allow my oil to soak in and settle overnight before proceeding. This is also good because this is my hobby so I do not get to block every day. I typically have 5 projects (in different stages) on my work bench. When I can get an hour in or a few minutes.

I hope this helps.

Happy Carving!

I really like that design KX! It resembles dragon scales or something.

Way to go, you've been busy.

I love the design. I also have to coat all my tandy leather with NeatsFoot oil as well. It starts off very light.

Add my vote for a really interesting design. It does look like reptile scales. Or fish. Or mermaid, or whatever.

I think that the neatsfoot does all of the things mentioned, and makes for smoother dye/stain application too. I'm a newb, but I have noticed this.

Very nice project.

Roger