Jimbob

Not Again...?!

OK, all has been said here for cardridge loops on gun belts...I think..? Well, all made manually....now lets say I am lazy and just burning to use one of my sewing machines to do cardrige loops....how in the heck would that work?? I sew a strap's end to a gunbelt, then put bullet in, mark....then sew again...well, how is that exactly working...I do have to lift the pressure foot to the new location...(top of the next loop....but what about the top and bottom thread going cross the existing loop....Hmmm...guess I need some help...

Anybody does loops with a sewing machine...and what fressure foot would be great for that??

Thanks....

James

Hey James!

John Bianchi has an outstanding DVD out about making a Western style holster and gunbelt rig. I have done them by hand and using a machine, and Johns way of using a machine is MUCH easier!

Figure out what size loops you want and how many. I take a piece of loop strip and place one side down on a piece of pattern cardboard, put a cartidge down, wrap the strip over and mark the cardboard on each side where the strip comes down and mark those same spots on either side of the strip.

Mark the gunbelt with the measurement from the cardboard and mark the strip with a corresponding number of spaces from the strip to account for the number of loops you want.

Sew down the first end and sew diagonally across to the top or bottom of the space where the strip material will lay. Loop the strip and place the first mark on the strip to the first mark on the gunbelt and sew straight up or down (depending on where you started) to form the first loop.

Pull the strip material out of the way and sew diagonally across to the next mark on the gunbelt and loop the strip back to line up the second set of marks and sew straight up or down again. This is a little less complicated than it sounds.

When Will Ghormley made the hoster for Russell Crowe in "3:10 to Yuma" he sewed up one side of the loop, straight across to the next mark, down to the bottom of the loop, straight across, up the next, straight across, etc. He's a member on this site and posted really detailed instructions on building that rig for all of us to use. That would be less sewing if you're going to sew by hand, and either technique will give you a great looking, functional rig.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Hey James!

John Bianchi has an outstanding DVD out about making a Western style holster and gunbelt rig. I have done them by hand and using a machine, and Johns way of using a machine is MUCH easier!

Figure out what size loops you want and how many. I take a piece of loop strip and place one side down on a piece of pattern cardboard, put a cartidge down, wrap the strip over and mark the cardboard on each side where the strip comes down and mark those same spots on either side of the strip.

Mark the gunbelt with the measurement from the cardboard and mark the strip with a corresponding number of spaces from the strip to account for the number of loops you want.

Sew down the first end and sew diagonally across to the top or bottom of the space where the strip material will lay. Loop the strip and place the first mark on the strip to the first mark on the gunbelt and sew straight up or down (depending on where you started) to form the first loop.

Pull the strip material out of the way and sew diagonally across to the next mark on the gunbelt and loop the strip back to line up the second set of marks and sew straight up or down again. This is a little less complicated than it sounds.

When Will Ghormley made the hoster for Russell Crowe in "3:10 to Yuma" he sewed up one side of the loop, straight across to the next mark, down to the bottom of the loop, straight across, up the next, straight across, etc. He's a member on this site and posted really detailed instructions on building that rig for all of us to use. That would be less sewing if you're going to sew by hand, and either technique will give you a great looking, functional rig.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Mike

Thanks for the detailed info.....that makes all sense....by the way, I loved the movie and the leather they wore....great stuff!!

Now how do we prevent any stitches to show on the very

top or very bottom of the strap....because when u come

Across to start over again u would have to be on top of the strap and a bit of stitches would show....all the times....either on top

or on the bottom....!????

Again, thank u so much....

Great folks here.....enjoy the heck out of this forum!!

James

Hey Jimbob!

You're right, going across the top or bottom will show some stitches...If you look closely enough. That said, did you see any in the movie? You put cartridges in those loops and nobody will notice the stitches. As my Daddy used to say, "On a trotting horse, you'll never see it!"

Mike

Hey Jimbob!

You're right, going across the top or bottom will show some stitches...If you look closely enough. That said, did you see any in the movie? You put cartridges in those loops and nobody will notice the stitches. As my Daddy used to say, "On a trotting horse, you'll never see it!"

Mike

Mike....

Good enough for me...haha....and you are right, when loaded with ammo the stitches are not vissible......well, guess I am just to picky...hehe...

I wish I could lay down more time for those great cowboy rigs I have in my head, so many gun leather I like to produce and so little time...

Agin, thank you very much for your input and kindness!!

Greetings

James