Yankus

Starter Help

Hiya there,

I've been lurking around the site for a while and joined up last night. ==WARNING: Dumb questions to follow==

I have NEVER done anything with leather, however it looks very interesting and something I would like. I'm looking at making a Steampunk accessory which is a leather half bracer with some brass componentry mounted to it. I'm making the assumption that I will have to use a heavy leather to prevent tearing and distortion of the bracer (and I would like to use it for a long time).

1) I'm assuming you tool the leather before you attempt to mold it (only a couple of small stamps, mounting holes etc.

2) I've read you have to soak it in water to be able to work it (casing?), some say warm, some say hot, others say straight from the tap, which is best?

3) Lining - I would like to line it with something comfortable for long term wear, any suggestions? how do i attach it? i've read about sewing and gluing but which is better? and i assume you have to do it after you mold it or the water would ruin the lining.

4) when burnishing edges, do you do it when wet or fully dried?

5) Dying must be done when dried I assume but how, do you soak it, sponge it on, mist it?

6) Any suggestions as to leather weight? brass pieces will weigh around 400g all up and be mounted to the "top" using nuts and special flat head bolts through the leather.

Thank you for any help/advise please don't troll the new guy.....

Chris

That's a lot of questions, and not quickly answered. You've chosen a tough 1st project with no experience. Maybe start with a small class somewhere near you (ie Tandy, community college, etc) Mostly you should read all you can here. This place is a veritable encyclopedia of leather knowledge. Learn how to use the search function too, for specific questions like edge burnishing, cuff tutorials, etc. Cuffs and bracers topics are in the Topic list, maybe start there. Probably one of the most well known Steampunkers is one of our members, Banwell. Read everything he's written. He also has some tutorials on gas mask making, etc. Good luck, and be sure to show us how you get along on this. PS: There are no dumb questions!

Thanks for the reply, I have been searching around the site (using search) for about 2 weeks (nightly) as well as watching YouTube videos and anything else I can find (When I try something I do it with gusto).

Tandy classes would be awesome however I live in New Zealand and there are no classes in my area. (yes I have looked, leather work isn't very popular down here)

I have learned quite alot and believe I can do this project (maybe 1 or 2 go's at it). If I could buy a half bracer it would be easier but nobody sells a plain half bracer that would suit so making it is my option, which is cool

I never knew leather work could be so interesting till I found this site.

There is alot of info out there but there is also alot of gaps. Alot of the dying stuff I've found just says dye the leather not when or how.

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

YOu need to dig a little deeper on this site for the dyeing info. There is a lot.

I googled "How to dye Leather" and got about 15 sites with varying degrees of info with two pages.

ferg

Thanks for the reply, I have been searching around the site (using search) for about 2 weeks (nightly) as well as watching YouTube videos and anything else I can find (When I try something I do it with gusto).

Tandy classes would be awesome however I live in New Zealand and there are no classes in my area. (yes I have looked, leather work isn't very popular down here)

I have learned quite alot and believe I can do this project (maybe 1 or 2 go's at it). If I could buy a half bracer it would be easier but nobody sells a plain half bracer that would suit so making it is my option, which is cool

I never knew leather work could be so interesting till I found this site.

There is alot of info out there but there is also alot of gaps. Alot of the dying stuff I've found just says dye the leather not when or how.

Thanks

Chris

Edited by 50 years leather

Chris, there are lots of ways to work leather, but the only one you need is the one that works for you.

My method is to cut out the leather bracer from 3.5 to 4mm thick veg tan, punch the holes for the lacing, tool the leather, carefully dye the project using a soft cloth like a bit of Tee-shirt (to enhance the tooling and bring out any grain in the leather), finish with sponged Atom wax and then dunk in a bucket of slightly warm water or dangle it under a tap. I then mould the bracer around whatever 'former' I have chosen to get the shape. If the bracer is a custom job I may need to 'bone' in details such as curves and 3D effects. I then leave the bracer to dry overnight on the former.

I'm not saying this is the 'right' way to do the job, but it works for me.

IMHO. the very best thing you can do is start by making narrow wristbands that allow you to experiment with tooling, moulding and finishing until you feel confident to move on to a bigger and more ambitious project. remember, we all have to start somewhere so start work and don't give up.

Have fun,

Ray