Ladykahu

Belt Buckle Assistance For A Small Boy

Hi all

I want to make a belt for my grandson (age 4) who is used to wearing webbing belts that use this sort of buckle

post-19292-000056300 1308365032_thumb.jp

Obviously this is no good for leather! But he's no good at undoing normal buckles (typical 4 year old, leaves going to the bathroom until the LAST minute and then is in a busting hurry)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 'buckle' that would be super fast and easy for him to undo?

I had thought about press studs but they would look ugly when I add on more for adjustments. Pirate theme is going to be used on the belt.

Idea's anyone?

Thanks

Natalie

Edited by Ladykahu

In Leather i would use the Sam Brown Post.

Maybe just a western/peg-type buckled with the peg on the back would work?

Only thing is, it can't be left on the floor--stepping on that peg at 2am will cause the parental units to holler plenty!

buckle_back2.jpg

Thanks for the answers folks

I had considered doing a webbing strip at the end, but he's so small around the middle I don't think there would be much belt left to emboss!

Luke, sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "In Leather i would use the Sam Brown Post."?

What is the 'proper' name for the peg type buckle? often when looking at buckles they only seem to show the fronts.

Cheers

Natalie

Sorry, I've never heard them called anything else but "peg" buckles, but I know that isn't the right name. I do know that Tandy sells them. Any of their buckles with a "flat" front is pegged.

If I was going to make a belt for an active 4-year-old boy, I would go for fairly inexpensive and pretty simple in case it gets lost, and since I don't have a lot of skills, I'd go for things that would make the assembly easy. So I'd go with something like this:

Small Buckle Blank 1805-00

Small Pre-Punched Buckle Blank Cover 44853-00

1" belt blank with snaps: 44546-00 OR 1 1/4" belt blank with snaps: 44545-00

1" Belt keeper: 4600-02 OR 1 1/4" keeper 4600-03

A lacing needle and about two yards of 1/8" lace for a double-loop edge--it's sturdy and wears well. The raised edge gives a good grip too.

The advantages to this is that he can swap out different buckles to suit his current fascinations (batman, Pixar, dogs, cars, earthmovers, what have you) and because of the snaps, the belt can be swapped out for different colors or styles, or lengths as he grows.

The disadvantage is the price. This costs more than a belt from WalMart, and the pre-snapped belt is more expensive than putting snaps on after cutting your own blank or punching your own strap. But a belt made of actual belt-leather and finished correctly will last easily 4 or 5 times as long, won't shed crud off the edges, won't crack, and won't slit between the buckle holes --unless it is put through a lot of abuse, and he would have to really work at it to do that much damage.

I would take him to any thrift store and have him try on as many differant types of buckles as you can find and see what he likes best, I always used the post type when I was a kid, (same last minute thing ya know) oh wait i'm 42 and still have the same problem maybe I should switch back

Peace

Bryan

Edited by bkingery

How about a basic plastic quick release buckle? http://springfieldleather.com/store/product/17183/Buckle%2CSide-Squeeze-Contr%2C1%22/ Not the most ascetically pleasing thing in the world, but in my experience most little hands are good with them. Plus they're cheap enough that if you use snaps at the buckle end, they can be replaced as needed.

My experience is that kids are swift learners, and I bet he would learn to use any kind of belt buckle in no time, just if someone showed him. A four year old will soon be able to control the TV, Xbox, computer and what not - so a belt buckle should be a piece of cake really. ;)

I'm with Skaid on this.

In my experience, most kids will learn to do anything if they really want to. Just watch them doing stuff they have been told they can't do!

Maybe showing him the belt with a conventional buckle and saying it is only for 'big kids' but if he can learn to undo it he can have it, might work.

Good luck!

Ray

Thanks for all the answers folks :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I have decided to go with part of winterbear's idea. I am getting one of the small covered peg buckles (well a couple actually, then he can have two for variety). I will try stitching around the edge as I am not keen on lacing.

Cheers

Natalie

Glad I wasn't completely off base and could provide some help. I think I suggested the lacing because I'm a better lacer than a sewer yet (I'm working on it). :blahblahblah:

Hi all

I want to make a belt for my grandson (age 4) who is used to wearing webbing belts that use this sort of buckle

post-19292-000056300 1308365032_thumb.jp

Obviously this is no good for leather! But he's no good at undoing normal buckles (typical 4 year old, leaves going to the bathroom until the LAST minute and then is in a busting hurry)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 'buckle' that would be super fast and easy for him to undo?

I had thought about press studs but they would look ugly when I add on more for adjustments. Pirate theme is going to be used on the belt.

Idea's anyone?

Thanks

Natalie

when my son was 4 he had a belt with magnet buckels. Charlie K.