Anne Bonnys Locker

Why Bonded Nylon?

Okay folks, edumacate me.

It appears that around the world one of the favourite threads for machine sewing leather is bonded nylon but why?

Yes, it has the advantage of being enormously strong but it does have a bunch of negatives:

- Has all the tactile pleasure of wire rope.

- So strong that it will rip through leather rather than break.

- If pulled will cut into the surface of the leather.

- Not great UV resistance.

- Looks like synthetic.

What is the opinion on something like core-spun poly cotton or high tenacity polyester?

I use Polyester and I really like it...

-Andrew

It appears that around the world one of the favourite threads for machine sewing leather is bonded nylon but why?

Yes, it has the advantage of being enormously strong but it does have a bunch of negatives:

- Looks like synthetic.

What is the opinion on something like core-spun poly cotton or high tenacity polyester?

Hi Darren,

For a long time I used Rice Nylon. It had very good hand and ran through the machines smoothly. In fact, a lot of leatherworkers used it. I also used Coats DaBond poly and found it a good thread and I started leaning on it after Rice went under. Then the guy who always sold me Rice started pushing Linhanyl which was also very good. I also use Eddington poly as it has a different look for period Western gear.

Basically, you use what works best for you, and you can source reliably. I use linen in the needle and awl machine, and occasionally Eddington poly as it is a little hard to get anything but a shade of white in linen. For insoles in shoes I use 130 lb. Dacron woven fishing line. I guess you are always looking for that "magic" thread, but when you need to sew, it's what is in the machine that counts.

Art

- Looks like synthetic.

We ran TEX400 bonded through a 132k6 clone yesterday, or tried to, the machine hated it. Admittedly we didn't have a lot of time to play with the setup but my partner has 30 years of industrial sewing under her belt and has never seen a machine spit out a thread like that. Same weight of core spun and it ran like a dream.

The core spun poly-cotton ( Barbour) I have used looked great at first, but it wore fast and looked fuzzy and terrible after a while, so I´ve got rid of it and now I use bonded nylon only. I have been told that the core-spun polt/cotton isn´t meant for leather but for fabric and tarp .

/ Knut

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me a conversion for size thread to weight? I use mostly 277 size and was trying to get some colors other than the standard, black, white and brown. I called a company that seems to have a lot of colors in the nylon and poly, but they sell and weight only and they have no idea what weight 277 is. I thought a thread company would know, but they don't. Does anyone have a conversion for this. I use 138 also for some light weight things.

Thanks in advance.

Keep cool,

Caffyhelpsmilie.gif

Will this answer your questions??? Not exactly sure which number you need but hope it helps - found it here a couple weeks ago :)

http://www.amefird.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/5-Thread-Size-Comparison-Chart-2-4-10.pdf

Hi Caffy,

A&E is probably the best at publishing their technical information, as such sometimes it is hard to find what you really need. You can find the appropriate chart here.

Art

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me a conversion for size thread to weight? I use mostly 277 size and was trying to get some colors other than the standard, black, white and brown. I called a company that seems to have a lot of colors in the nylon and poly, but they sell and weight only and they have no idea what weight 277 is. I thought a thread company would know, but they don't. Does anyone have a conversion for this. I use 138 also for some light weight things.

Thanks in advance.

Keep cool,

Caffyhelpsmilie.gif

Thanks so much for your reply!

I use 277 mostly.

Caffythumbsup.gif

Hi Caffy,

A&E is probably the best at publishing their technical information, as such sometimes it is hard to find what you really need. You can find the appropriate chart here.

Art

Thank you very much. Great chart.

Lighten.gif

Will this answer your questions??? Not exactly sure which number you need but hope it helps - found it here a couple weeks ago :)

http://www.amefird.c...hart-2-4-10.pdf