I have a Singer 168W101 that I got for my shop. After receiving it I found that the motor and clutch are not the original ones. It is 1/3 hp 1750 RPM with same style external clutch assembly. However the integrated pulley on the pressure plate is way to large and runs the machine at probably 5k SPM instead of the 2900 it is supposed to. Any resources out the to find a smaller pulley/pressure plate assembly? Feathering the clutch doesn't even come close enough to be able to sew with it. BTW it zips through 3/8 leather like it is liquid butter. I have no doubt it would stitch through your femur!!!!

There are several things that you can do , you can swap out the motor for a servo motor that will give you total control of the speed from 0 and up , you could check the local hardware or farm store for a smaller pulley to put on your existing motor or you could put a larger hand wheel on the machine ..

If you do a bit of searching you will find more info on all of the options ..

Hope that helps .

HAHAHA Welcome aboard. My femur huh?

I once stitched my fingers crossed waiting for a machine, but never thought of the femur.

Two things you could do:

A: buy a servo motor like the SERVPRO

B: Put a really big pulley on top your machine, and a littlee tiny smalll itsy pulley on the bottom

The motor Kayak was calling the "ServPro" is actually named the "SewPro" 500GR. Our member dealer Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines sells tham at a good price, with a 2" pulley for leather sewing. I have this motor and won't sew without it.

Some of the bigger, harder to turn machines have a speed reducer system installed between the motor and machine, under the table. This slows down the maximum speed to a much more leather friendly range of a few stitches per second. Without the 3:1 reducer the SewPro 500GR has 1500 rpm at full speed.

If you want to keep your motor, measure the diameter of the output shaft. If it is 3/4 inch, that is the standard industrial sewing motor pulley diameter. Any sewing machine dealer can sell you a smaller 3/8" or 7/16" v-belt and pulley in 3/4 inch ID. Most leather sewing steups have a 2 or 2.25" motor pulley.

Installing a smaller pulley necessitates buying a shorter v-belt to compensate for the difference in length from the original. That allows you to set the motor-to-machine belt tension in the mid range of the position adjuster bolt, on the bottom of the motor.

If I could swap pulleys for a smaller one it would be a simple fix. However, the pulley and pressure plate are one piece with a bearing in the center to allow free wheeling on the motor shaft. The bearing is a friction fit on the motor shaft. The pressure plate is pressed against the clutch/flywheel plate which is attached with a keyed slot. When the foot pedal is pressed it moves the pressure plate/pulley against the clutch/flywheel to drive the hand wheel. This is how the original motor was set up for these machines. The machine comes to a stop via the foot pedal which when pressed the opposite direction applies a brake against the edge of the pressure plate. Maybe I am screwed and will be forced to go the route of another fix rather than a smaller drive pulley/pressure plate . The one that's on it now is 4.25" and the original called for a 3 .5" . Sure wish it was as simple as replacing a standard pulley. BTW the machine is OLD but runs like......well a sewing machine!

I am wondering if the Servpro would have the power to slowly sew through 3/8 leather for sheaths and scabbards.

I am wondering if the Servpro would have the power to slowly sew through 3/8 leather for sheaths and scabbards.

That motor is not a ServPro, but a SewPro 500GR. It is sold by Bob Kovar, at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (866-362-7397). The motor bolts onto the underside of the table, usually into the three holes from the original clutch motor. If your motor has three carriage bolts, in a long triangle; two on the left and one on the right, centered, this motor will drop in. If the holes are too far to the left, you will have to drill new ones, or buy a new table top; pre-drilled, cut-out and slotted.

Since your external clutch has a 4.5" pulley and a SewPro 500GR has a 2" pulley, you will need a new v-belt, about 3 or 4 inches shorter (this motor sits closer to the table, losing one inch to start with).

To answer your question about the motor's capability, yes, the SewPro motor will have more than enough power to plow through 3/8" of any leather. I have this motor driving my National N300 walking foot machine and it plows through 7/16" of leather, without bogging down or dropping out. That is with a #22 or 23 leather point needle.

Edited by Wizcrafts

You think we could shrink you handle down to "archer"

Wiz is being really hard on my speln, I think I'm goin to market a servpro couse it sounds kinda good.

That motor wiill taake, I think, a 3/8" bolt, kinda pointed at the end, and rope of somekind for thread.

it's reallly realllly strong.

It'l sew througjh two fingers with no problem.deadsubject.gif

#/3/4 Inch leather, No Problem!jawdropper.gif

So what is this SEWPRO 500 going to run me? No I don't have a 3 legged mount. It as a cast carriage designed for 4 bolts. It wouldn't be hard to make a plate for the motor and mount it to the existing carriage.

Kent

A buck three eighty nine

A buck three eighty nine

Not really. About $180 plus shipping of about 11 to 15 dollars.

It might be helpful to post a pic of the current motor and clutch system . I think you are going to find that a servo will be the fastest and easiest way to go , all that is required to mount it to the table is to drill 3 holes thru the top of table and put in 3 carriage bolts , there is a lot of adjustment (slotted mounts on the motor ) so the holes don't have to be dead on . I bought a 111 on an old USM table and it has a similar set up as you have described and its not to hard to convert it over to a servo which I will do when I have time to look over the machine . Where are you located ?

If you cant just drill the table because the old mount is in the way and can't be unbolted then put up some pics and we will see what we need to do , don't get to frustrated Im sure there is a fix (wish I could take my own advice LOL ) If you need help with an adapter plate I can help you with that as well ..

A side note on the servos , I am new to all this as well and did a bit of research on the servos before I bought one (after it was recommended by a repairman in NC ) there are cheaper servo motors available BUT the one that Bob sells is the only one that I have seen that has built in gear reductions and what I have been told is that some of the others don't have the same power at very slow speeds (they don't reach rated output at low speed ) .... The servo motor is a totally different animal then what you have now , they don't run all the time , they work just like a variable speed drill (best way I could think to describe it ) another up side is that they only draw juice when you are sewing ..

Edited by wolfe9

I am in Darby,MT. Not the end of the earth but we see the edge pretty clearly from a hilltop! One half of the store is Plenty Coups Archery and we serve traditional archery shooters (no wheels,cams, sites or releases here lol ) and the other side is my wife's store. She owns Pinnacle Sewing Service. She has been sewing for 40. She has several machines 2 of which are industrial (one for long arm quilting and the other a Consew for sewing bicycle goods for a custom bicycle manufacturer and general repairs for backpacks etc.

I like making leather goods for the traditional archery,hence the purchase of the 168w101.

btw PCA is a fine abbreviation for Plenty Coups Archery.

It looks like unbolting what you have and putting on a servo would be easy , that is the way I would go , it would mount just like the motors on the machines your wife has .

pic 1 of the MACHINE!

pic 2

A servo motor will require you to drill all new holes. It will NOT bolt into the existing four hole pattern. The holes are usually 1/2 inch diameter, for 3/8" carriage bolts and nuts..

I am sure the SEWPRO is the way I'll have to go. Unbolt the carriage and motor and mount the new one directly to the table. I can get belts from NAPA. I'll probably go with one of the link belts. They seem to run smoother on my woodworking machines. They are available in several sizes from industrial pulleys to the small stuff like sewing machines.

I am sure the SEWPRO is the way I'll have to go. Unbolt the carriage and motor and mount the new one directly to the table. I can get belts from NAPA. I'll probably go with one of the link belts. They seem to run smoother on my woodworking machines. They are available in several sizes from industrial pulleys to the small stuff like sewing machines.

You may or may not be able to get the correct belt from NAPA. The pulley on both the servo motor and machine is a sewing specification type 3L, which is 3/8" wide on the outside of the V taper. However, I guaran-dang-tee that the dealer who sells you the motor will have the correct v-belt, which is totally smooth on the inside. The link belt you described will not play nice on your sewing machine. Just measure the original and subtract the number of inches difference in the size of the old pulley, versus the new one and allow another inch shorter for the motor being closer to the body than the original. Judging by the photo of your tall post machine and the big clutch pulley under it, you probably have at least a 45 inch belt now, meaning you'll end up with about a 3 or 4 inch shorter belt for the SewPro motor.

If the replacement belt is too long, you can cut it to the right length, with the motor just above the middle position in the adjuster, then use a steel C clamp, for a treadle patcher belt, to fasten the ends together. Tension the belt downward for about 1/2 inch light fingertip deflection at the middle of its length.