Sign in to follow this  
nas

Help With Airbrush Selection

I have read pretty much every thread on here about airbrushes and i have decided on the double action gravity feed type. I am looking at the Badger 105 Patriot vs. the Iwata HP-CS. I can get the Badger for $85 or the Iwata for $125. I believe I would have to buy a hose for the badger, but the Iwata comes with a 6ft hose.

I will be using it for Oil Stain, Resolene finish, etc. I also may do some automotive type painting with it. Basically I just want to get a good all around airbrush that will last a long time.

I want to make the right decision on this the first time around so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Not to talk down about any brand of AB, but if you're gonna spray a finish, you might want to look into multiple ABs. You'll need to clean it between each use if you are going to spray oil and resolene....and I mean detail clean it. Not like spraying some water through it 'til it runs clear like you can do with acrylics, I'm talking full scrub.

I found out the fun way that even spirit dyes can build up a residue inside the brush, and it requires a lot of scrubbing w/ steel wool to get it out. I picked up a badger, thinking the fine line would be useful, but pretty quickly went back to masking and spraying with the cheap Harbor Freight external mix brush. It's just easier to get everything clean- it's got 3 removable parts, including the lock nut. The air button doesn't need to be removed as there's no medium moving through/past it to gum it up. If you're going to be doing high detail, with a consistent medium type, then yes, go with a high dollar one. But if you're gonna be swapping, go with multiple guns, or external mix that are easier to clean.

BTW, if you decide to use the little bottles instead of the cups, make some caps for them. Resolene will dry in the siphon tube, requiring a paperclip (unbent) or toothpick to push all the dried gunk out of the tube and head.

TwinOaks is right on the money. I own 4 airbrushes now, one for a different type of medium & purpose. My Iwata Eclipse HP-CS is for the fine detail and high-end paints. My Badgers are for higher volume spraying, one for each type of dye (spirit & oil) and then I have the $20 Harbor Freight badger knock-off for spraying resolene and other hard to clean finishes. For bigger jobs, I also have the HF detail gun ($18) which is a HVLP automotive touch up sprayer. For what you're talking about, specifically when you mention the automotive airbrushing, I would get the Iwata and then spend an extra $15 and get the HF knock-off set for your leather finish spraying. It costs you a little more in the start but long term you should be able to handle all of the jobs you're talking about.

Thanks for the input. I pocked up the deluxe today at harbor freight plus some fitting and a hose. What is best to cut the resplendent with for spraying? I have read a 50/50 mix is good. Do I just use water? I have only applied it straight with sponge, but I didn't like the strokes showing in the finish

. That is what has lead me to the airbrush route

Thanks for the input. I pocked up the deluxe today at harbor freight plus some fitting and a hose. What is best to cut the resplendent with for spraying? I have read a 50/50 mix is good. Do I just use water? I have only applied it straight with sponge, but I didn't like the strokes showing in the finish

. That is what has lead me to the airbrush route

Whatever you are shooting through em should have the consistency of skim milk or thinner period.

For those of you using airbrushes go to airbrush.com look in the tips and tricks section I have been using these tools since early 1996 on various things from textile to automotive . It all boils down to application of the tools and money you have to spend on them.

Edited by stealfdawg