cazador1022

Harley Seat How To?

guys I have tooled a Harley seat but I am having trouble fastening the seat underneath. The original seat was vynl yuck. And was fastened with staples. Please any ideas are welcome.

guys I have tooled a Harley seat but I am having trouble fastening the seat underneath. The original seat was vynl yuck. And was fastened with staples. Please any ideas are welcome.

Use rivets. 1/8"

what is ur seat pan made of.....plastic, metal or fiberglass....?

Use upholstery staples on fiber and plastic, as mentioned use rivets with prefered air rivet gun on metal....need to pre-drill.....I do 99 % staples, with air stapler.....make sure u keep skirting leather good n wet....so it will stretch nicley and be snug when dry!!!

Start on top and bottom, make sure u in center with seat/cover....then work around curves equally on both sides.....later trim with razor sharp knife and let dry....done!!

Need more help, yell at me...

greetings

James

You don't need any staples, or rivets. Use some barge glue on the pan (sand with 50 grit) & the leather (rough it up a bit). Let it get tacky then stretch the leather onto the pan. Press it down then smack it with a mallet all the way around. I use barge all the time

You don't need any staples, or rivets. Use some barge glue on the pan (sand with 50 grit) & the leather (rough it up a bit). Let it get tacky then stretch the leather onto the pan. Press it down then smack it with a mallet all the way around. I use barge all the time

Barge is a great ( expansive) cement, it actually will work when materials are wet....which is good for elastic and forming properties....!

Now here is the problem on gluing a seat only (under the skirt )....it will by moisture, pressure and heat, which is present on any seat, shift....over time it will allow the skirting material to wrinkel and will not hold the stretched material which gives a upholstered seat its appereance!! ( Think vinyl upholstery...)

Staples and rivets will keep shape and form of a seat for a very long time! There is a reason for permanet fixing a stretched material ( skiting veg tan leather should be arround 2-3 oz max ) on a foamed seat pan.....Also one reason people, including myself, do glue the top seat (carved part ) to the foam...it will be somewhat elastic, but still hold the top shape of the carved seat part!

I had for years now very positive results on using staples and few rivets on foamed skirted seats.

And I am talking here skirted foamed seats only....I do my hard ass NO FOAM seats with Barge on both sides and then stitch, lace or screw...!!

Please take this only as my opinion, I am always open to new ways of doing things in leather and related materials.....so actually many ways work for many different people!

Just my little 2-cents of doing seats for bikes...

Greetings

James

It's gotta be some intense heat to loosen up barge cement. Once it dries onto the pan it aint movin.