Friends:

Recently I completed a couple of wallets for family that were not stained, i.e just had several coats of Super Shene on the design and wallet. Since then I have noticed colors from pants are fading into the leather. I realize heat from setting on the wallet may cause this and discoloration in the fabric of the pants (generally blue jeans) but is there anything that can be done to ensure it does not happen. I've got some orders for the same billfolds but don't want this to occur again for a customer or family. I appreciate anyone's response. Thanks

I found a few things with wallets and other gear for motorcycles that using resolene thinned 50/50 with water protects better than Super Sheen. The other processed that helped was to use a "weatherproofing" (more like weather-resistant) dressing on the leather after the resolene dries helps quite a bit. Essentially what you are fighting is, pardon the bluntness, butt sweat causing the fabric dye to bleed into the leather. Here's the process that I have found works well for me:

after tooling, cutting, etc. apply a good coat or two of neatsfoot oil & allow to soak in overnight

then apply 2 good coats of resolene/water mix, let cure 20 minutes or so in between coats; let dry over night

next up is a good buffing with Pecard Leather Lotion

last step is a good application & buffing of Pecard Weatherproof Leather Dressing

The last two bits can be found in a kit Pecard sells online for $18 and will last a decent length of time. The dressing also comes in black & natural so you can use the color that fits the project best. (Black basically helps enhance/rejuvenate black dyed items). link to Pecard

Hope that helps

Chris

Edited by Spinner

.....or you could just use NeatLac :whistle:

quit rubbing it in Bobby. ;) As soon as I find a supplier that will ship it to California, I'll be happy to jump on that wagon with ya. :thumbsup:

I found a few things with wallets and other gear for motorcycles that using resolene thinned 50/50 with water protects better than Super Sheen. The other processed that helped was to use a "weatherproofing" (more like weather-resistant) dressing on the leather after the resolene dries helps quite a bit. Essentially what you are fighting is, pardon the bluntness, butt sweat causing the fabric dye to bleed into the leather. Here's the process that I have found works well for me:

after tooling, cutting, etc. apply a good coat or two of neatsfoot oil & allow to soak in overnight

then apply 2 good coats of resolene/water mix, let cure 20 minutes or so in between coats; let dry over night

next up is a good buffing with Pecard Leather Lotion

last step is a good application & buffing of Pecard Weatherproof Leather Dressing

The last two bits can be found in a kit Pecard sells online for $18 and will last a decent length of time. The dressing also comes in black & natural so you can use the color that fits the project best. (Black basically helps enhance/rejuvenate black dyed items). link to Pecard

Hope that helps

Chris

Thanks Spinner:

I will print and try this when I complete these wallets I working on.

Thanks Hidepounder

Like Spinner, is I could find it I would use it. Had some years ago and it was great but don't know of any suppliers. I appreciate the tip though.

I purchased some neat lac from http://stleather.com/ recently.. page 36 in the 'dyes' section.

I presume this is the same neat lac as everyone talks about? Bob can you confirm?

They posted to australia, so I presume it should be fine anywhere

Natalie

I purchased some neat lac from http://stleather.com/ recently.. page 36 in the 'dyes' section.

I presume this is the same neat lac as everyone talks about? Bob can you confirm?

Natalie

Thanks Natalie:

I never tried the spray type of Neat Lac but it is the same product as I remember it. Probably just buy a quart and be done with it. Thanks for the hook up I will look at it in detail later.

Natalie

Hi Natalie,

It appears to be the same can label as the ones I have so I am sure it is probably the same stuff. I would recommend the quart over the spray, however they are both good and I use them both. NeatLac is also available from Sheridan Leather Outfitters under their own label of WyoShene and it is also available through Panhandle Leather under the manufacturers name of ClearLac. They are all the same product that Tandy used to sell. I don't know about shipping. Hope this helps.....

Bobby

I purchased the quart, as I wouldn't expect any spray can to make it through the post.. High flying aircraft and pressurised aerosol cans is a big NO NO.

Thanks for confirming its the same stuff Bob, as a newcomer to the craft I had no way of confirming it .. nothing like experiance to tell :-)

Natalie