Sign in to follow this  
mlapaglia

Help Creating First Pancake Holster Pattern

The example looks like carp because my AutoCad died and I had to fake it with a drawing and a scanner instead of the normal way I draw stuff, on the computer. Anyway, this is my first try at a pancake holster pattern. Id like any comments, questions, suggestions etc, on how to make it better. The dashed lines are the current stich lines. They need to be fixed. I have a single shoulder, 6-7oz, coming in this week for it and I have a full side of 3-4 oz if I need it.

Please feel free to make any suggestions. This is going to be for an HK USP-9. I have an Airsoft copy to mold with.

Thanks.

Michael

post-22515-099532300 1312093893_thumb.jp

post-22515-051725800 1312093910_thumb.jp

Edited by mlapaglia

For you stitch lines around the gun, figure 1/2 the thickness of the gun + the thickness of the leather = distance from the gun for the stitch line. After that, it's molding and stretching the leather. Try to keep the the stitch lines a consistent distance from the outline of the gun. Other than that, the pattern looks fine...maybe move the rear belt slot out a little more to help pull the holster closer, or lose a bit of the 'wing' that's just hanging out in the back.

Thanks Mike, From your comments I decided to move the rear slot out to help it hold closer.

Ill hold off and see if anyone else has some commens before I clean it up and make a new template. The leather wont be here for a few days anyway.

Any opinions on lining it? Ive got so Pig skin lining but Im not sure how well it would stretch during the molding?

Looks pretty good. I'd suggest pulling the top of the holster away from the grip area - you want to make sure you can wrap your fingers around the pistol grip without catching on the leather. Regarding your stitch line, you want to offset it at least 1/2 the thickness of your firearm, plus maybe another 1/16" to 1/8". This helps allow for the thickness of the leather, as well as a molded sight channel. Lastly, I'd suggest you use a bad section of your hide to try out your pattern for the first time - especially if you plan on lining it - no sense in wasting time and "money" on a pattern that isn't quite right, and you'll learn a lot about your pattern the first time you build a holster from it.

Ok, this is pretty close to the final unless someone has more suggestions. I set the stich line per TwinOak's and particle's suggestions.

With the pattern on cardboard the distance between the grip and the top of the holster seems ok. When I make it the first time with scrap I will be able to see if it is enough or needs to be moved.

Thanks for the help. Anyone else got any suggestions before I cut the scrap leather and try it?

post-22515-081984500 1312147791_thumb.jp

post-22515-005544400 1312147801_thumb.jp

Being totally new to holster making and pretty new at leather work, I have a question. What is the reason for angling the belt slots away from each other? Why not have them straight?

Being totally new to holster making and pretty new at leather work, I have a question. What is the reason for angling the belt slots away from each other? Why not have them straight?

In my case, no reason other than style. Something to make it a little different than the others. I abandoned it in the final version.

Thanks for asking.

Michael

Theoretically, the angle on the belt loops (downward to the inside) would create a conic section (tighter loop on the bottom), which would force the muzzle inward. However, since a 1.5-2" leather belt is flexible and doesn't apply that much force, the effect is probably negligible.

Sorry, reading math books today rolleyes2.gif