Sign in to follow this  
indiandale

Vintage Motorcycle Seat Rebuild

I am new here and I am looking for info on restoring a vintage Harley buddy seat. I have the seat pan finished and foam attached to pan and formed. I have searched this forum and only find custom seats with sides sewed to top. This seat is made with 1 piece of leather formed to fit contours and transition from wide to narrow sides of seat with no wrinkles. This seat cover is stitched to a 1" leather collar that is riveted to seat pan. Any body here know how to get leather to form to foam rubber for a smooth apperance? I read here about wet form and do not know how to apply this method to my needs. This seat has low spots where the rump cheeks would sit and when the leather is pulled tight to form around sides of seat the leather pulls up from the low spots and the sides wrinkle on because the seat is pear shaped. Please help. Thanks dale.

I think I would use the wet form method. ..If you case the leather well and form this with your fingers in the butt cheek areas and then use (office binder clips) all around the pan this should work. I don't have a photo at the moment of how I use the clips.The clips are very strong and will stay in place. I would suggest though to place something protective under the clip so you won't have permanent clip marks in the leather You will need to let this dry out completely before you handle it again. Here is a seat I made with the clip method.

I am new here and I am looking for info on restoring a vintage Harley buddy seat. I have the seat pan finished and foam attached to pan and formed. I have searched this forum and only find custom seats with sides sewed to top. This seat is made with 1 piece of leather formed to fit contours and transition from wide to narrow sides of seat with no wrinkles. This seat cover is stitched to a 1" leather collar that is riveted to seat pan. Any body here know how to get leather to form to foam rubber for a smooth apperance? I read here about wet form and do not know how to apply this method to my needs. This seat has low spots where the rump cheeks would sit and when the leather is pulled tight to form around sides of seat the leather pulls up from the low spots and the sides wrinkle on because the seat is pear shaped. Please help. Thanks dale.

You are essentially building a new seat for your bike. Look at the tutorials that are pinned to the motorcycle and biker gear headings. There's one by Roger that should suit your needs.

Dave Theobald