Sign in to follow this  
adaman04

My First Leather Sheath

I made my first leather sheath this week and it was a fun project. I don't post here much but I sure appreciate all the info from all of you good folks.

I appreciate and and all criticism or input. I already have some things I will do differently next time. I didn't get the edges burnished to look like one piece of leather, but it's nice and slick and pretty good for a first timer I thought. I plan to rig up a removable dangler system, maybe a caribiner type. We'll see.

jqotiw.jpg

oggis7.jpg

ndq4g5.jpg

15zpdlt.jpg

Nice looking sheath! Simple and effective. Your stitching looks great and the edges aren't that bad. I'm sure it'll serve you well for many years.

How do you do your edges? Do you sand them even, then burnish, then stitch? I noticed that whenever I burnish edges before I stitch something up, they always get uneven from the stitching pressure, and have to be redone.

I think that would look great with a dangler set up. The first time I had seen or used the dangler system was when I made an axe sheath for my pa-in-law. I think it's a cool option to have (I've had the rib jab from items in stiff sheaths- so the freedom to swing out of the way when sitting, moving, etc is nice).

Looks good man- keep it up.

Nooj

Very nice Adam, Clean!

Nice design, I think the square lines of the sheath make wearing it more "low key" when out in public.