chickendave

Hi From Norfolk

Hello all

First post so just to say Hi. I am a small holder in UK and got in to leather work by necessity, after several bad cuts from hedging tools I decided I needed to make my own cases, I put up some pictures on my album. I have got a little better since then and will put up more when I get my camera back. Have just this evening pined out some veg tan 3 mm thick to have my first go at wet moulding. I am making a belt case for a victonox farmer SAK. I found lots of good info on here so thought I would just give it a go.

Dave

Hi, Welcome to the forum. I just commented on you gallery, nice ideas on those.

Welcome Dave, This forum is a great resource and is full of friendly folk willing to help.

Welcome to the forum ChickenDave! Glad you stopped in for a visit.

Hi guys

Thanks for the welcome.

The wet moulding I was having a go at was awful, just did not curve in tight enough. I think it may have been too thick. I was looking at other peoples projects and advice and most here talk about leather thickness in terms of ounces, most of the leather I get is sold in average hide thickness in mm.

Is there a ready reckoner or sin/cosin type tables so I can convert between them, I am happy to work in either metric or imperial so if its a sheet that shows onces to fractions of an inch that would be just fine.

Thanks

Dave

This may help you.

Each ounce of leather is 1/64" or 0.396875mm. Eight ounce leather 1/8" or 3.175mm.

Hope this helps a little.

ferg

Hi guys

Thanks for the welcome.

The wet moulding I was having a go at was awful, just did not curve in tight enough. I think it may have been too thick. I was looking at other peoples projects and advice and most here talk about leather thickness in terms of ounces, most of the leather I get is sold in average hide thickness in mm.

Is there a ready reckoner or sin/cosin type tables so I can convert between them, I am happy to work in either metric or imperial so if its a sheet that shows onces to fractions of an inch that would be just fine.

Thanks

Dave

that's fantastic, thanks. and now off to evilbay

Dave

This may help you.

Each ounce of leather is 1/64" or 0.396875mm. Eight ounce leather 1/8" or 3.175mm.

Hope this helps a little.

ferg