Sign in to follow this  
Vaquero1

Hackamore Cheeks

Hi all Braiders,

i look at this forum from time to time but there are only a few people posting something new... this is a pity.

i got a new question and wanted to know how do you braid your rawhide cheeks.

braid with lots of saddle soap, pull every strand real hard to side and tighten every strand on the other side... that makes everything real strong but my V´s going much to flat????

i allways thougt the angle is given by the number and width of the cheekstrands but if seen hackamores with the same size of strands and sharper braided V´s...

what can i do to make the V nicer?

Micha

post-16168-035115100 1313404739_thumb.jp

The angle of your braid really depends on how you pull your strands. If you pull each strand out to the side too much, the braid will end up much flatter. Try to pull them at a 45 degree angle from the core and the Vs will end up nicer.

Hope that makes sense,

CW

Thanks Aggie, that makes absolutely sense to me ;-)

but this way i have to pull my braiding up to be shure everything gets close to the core? ... practice makes perfect- i think it´s a long way ;-)

Micha

Not sure how it impacts a bosal body but I know with a reata you want the Vs pushed up and as short as you can make them. The longer the Vs the more chance of them moving around. Because a bosal isn't going to be under anywhere near the stress a rope is I could see it coming down to what you think looks better.

i dont pull up on any of my strands, as long as you keep everything where it needs to be as far as strand order, I wouldnt think you would have any issues with it not pulling it tight to the core. At least I havent had any troubles with it. I guess it may be one more thing thats kinda hard to explain about braiding without actually seeing someone do it.

CW

thanks for your answers... hope my next ones getting better ;-)

yes paniolo, i braid them...

If you added more strings your V's would turn out the way you want. If I am braiding on something that I haven't done before. I will cut 4 more string than I think are needed. Then braid about 6 inches or so and see how it looks. If things don't close down I remove strings 2 at time till things look right. Make notes about strings size versus core size and carry on.

Rob