Lobo

Horizontal Shoulder Holster

I recently had a request for a horizontal shoulder holster with X-style harness for the full-size 1911 pistols. Prior experience with this style has indicated several items that require attention:

1. The harness must be fully articulated, allowing great flexibility so that each strap can move with the body during normal activities, rather than binding up in some positions.

2. The center harness connection needs to be relatively large, providing a central support for the weight, be contoured to fit the body, and have no protrusions that can cause discomfort.

3. Harness straps need to be as light as possible, providing support for the weight while also allowing them to conform to the body.

4. An off-side double magazine pouch can provide a counterbalance to the weight of the pistol. Without the counterbalancing weight the off-side strap can be constantly pulled into the armpit and causing irritation unless a belt tie-down strap is provided.

Having a good supply of horsehide on hand in varying weights, I decided to utilize that material. Straps were cut from hide gauging about 4-oz. weight. Center harness connection is of two layers of about 3-oz. weight, cemented and stitched with rounded recesses provided for harness strap ends. Holster is of about 6-oz. weight. Mag pouch is of about 5 oz. weight.

Holster and mag pouch connect to the straps using D-rings to permit free movement of the straps as the body moves. Harness straps are adjustable via Chicago screw attachments, with keepers to keep the strap attachments secured at the D-ring attachment points. Strap ends connect to the center harness connection with Chicago screws, permitting the strap to rotate freely as the body moves.

Holster construction is basic 2-panel pancake with reinforced thumb-break. The mag pouch is a modification of my compact belt model with provisions for the D-ring attachments.

Here are a few photos. The customer reports good comfort and concealability in use. The customer wears a size 44 jacket, so I have sized the straps on this piece to accomodate from about size 40 to size 50, with adjustment holes at 1" intervals. Adjustments also permit changing the holster and pouch positions to ride further forward or further back.

Shoulder holsters have a relatively small range of usefulness, but quite a few customers are interested in them. This is probably one of the more popular styles. This style harness permits the use of multiple holsters and accessories with one harness. Also, individual parts are interchangeable making repairs or sizing changes quite easy to do.

post-7487-060790100 1313416193_thumb.jpg

post-7487-001632600 1313416202_thumb.jpg

post-7487-025352300 1313416214_thumb.jpg

post-7487-077782200 1313416225_thumb.jpg

post-7487-061778400 1313416236_thumb.jpg

post-7487-076969600 1313416274_thumb.jpg

post-7487-082632700 1313416291_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lobo

Ray: Again you have done an exemplary job. I personally stay away from shoulder rigs. After trying out a number of them during my days as a LEO I gave up wearing them and/or building them because I never found one that 'wore well' on me. It looks like yours is perfect for your customer. Mike

I like it!

I really like the way you did the "X", I'm going to steal that :)

Dan

Ray: Again you have done an exemplary job. I personally stay away from shoulder rigs. After trying out a number of them during my days as a LEO I gave up wearing them and/or building them because I never found one that 'wore well' on me. It looks like yours is perfect for your customer. Mike

Mike: Thanks for the compliment. I agree with you completely about wearing shoulder holsters. About the only time I find one truly useful is on a long driving trip. But in business we don't have the luxury of making only what we like or prefer, we have to make what customers want and are willing to pay for. This is a fairly popular style so I expect to receive enough orders to make it worthwhile doing, and at the same time try to provide a product that overcomes some of the inherent problems of this type.

Best regards.

Purely out of curiosity - since I don't and probably never will carry a sidearm - can you tell me what the rationale was for placing the "X" up at the base of the neck rather than down between the shoulder blades?

Thanks.

Purely out of curiosity - since I don't and probably never will carry a sidearm - can you tell me what the rationale was for placing the "X" up at the base of the neck rather than down between the shoulder blades?

Thanks.

That portion of the harness is where all of the weight is supported. Having the weight distributed between the shoulders helps to keep the harness in position without excessive shifting. The upper harness straps, passing over the shoulders, carries the weight. The lower harness straps hold the holster and magazine pouch in position against the body.

If the pivot point were placed lower the effects of gravity would cause constant shifting of the harness, which is a general problem with many shoulder holster designs.

I hope this answers your questions.

That portion of the harness is where all of the weight is supported. Having the weight distributed between the shoulders helps to keep the harness in position without excessive shifting. The upper harness straps, passing over the shoulders, carries the weight. The lower harness straps hold the holster and magazine pouch in position against the body.

If the pivot point were placed lower the effects of gravity would cause constant shifting of the harness, which is a general problem with many shoulder holster designs.

It does, thank you.

Nice Job. What I'm most impressed with and envious of is the fact that you found time to develop and design this. I've been wanting to get at a shoulder harness for quite some time but this has been my biggest obstacle.

So, it sounds like this was your first one. If so, what would you do different on the next one? If you are like me, if a new project is done to my satisfaction, there always seems to be something that I tweak or change up on the next few runs.

Edited by BigRiverLeather

Nice Job. What I'm most impressed with and envious of is the fact that you found time to develop and design this. I've been wanting to get at a shoulder harness for quite some time but this has been my biggest obstacle.

So, it sounds like this was your first one. If so, what would you do different on the next one? If you are like me, if a new project is done to my satisfaction, there always seems to be something that I tweak or change up on the next few runs.

I've made quite a few shoulder holsters over the years, including some with the X-style harness, so I wasn't starting from scratch on this project. Some years back I settled on a different harness style for general production (support harness of 4-5 oz. suede leather, off-side strap of soft woven nylon) with the horizontal-carry thumb-break holster design the same as used on this one.

The X-style harness has demonstrated some problems in other configurations, notably the tendency to shift around with normal body motions (sitting down, getting up, leaning over, etc), and comfort issues related to how the weight is supported and distributed. So, the emphasis of this project was primarily to tweak the harness design.

In this harness design my goal was to provide a rather large central pivot point that is contoured to ride between the shoulders without protrusions that would cause irritation, snag on clothing, or "print" through the cover garment. This was accomplished by utilizing very thin and flexible pieces of horsehide to make the pivot point/support piece and 3/16" Chicago screws at each strap mount point. That piece was carefully patterned to the human shape. Another requirement known from prior experience is that each strap connection point must be fully articulated, permitting the holster, harness, and accessories to move freely throughout the normal range of motion in common physical activities. Without that provision we can expect constant binding, pinching, and bunching of the harness straps.

A feature not incorporated on this piece (at customer request) is a belt tie-down strap on either the holster side or off-side. That is something that I would recommend on shoulder holsters intended to be worn during strenuous physical activities. A simple adjustable snap-strap can be incorporated at each side to secure the holster and accessory side down to the waist belt. This greatly limits shifting of the load and harness, and keeps the holstered handgun from flopping against the body during strenuous activities such as running, etc.

For comparison with a different harness style I have included a few photos of my earlier standardized design. I have used this style for years to comfortably carry on long driving trips. The soft suede harness conforms readily to the body, supports the weight without irritation, and the nap of the suede grips the material of your shirt to resist shifting.

Shoulder holsters in general are rather time-consuming projects so some thought has to be given to pricing. Once the design has been finalized and patterns produced I estimate that I spend about 2 hours on a shoulder holster, as compared to less than an hour on a typical belt holster.

A final note on shoulder holsters is to avoid using dyes. The combination of lengthy exposure to perspiration during use and friction against the clothing can be expected to result in color transfer to the clothing. For this reason I make shoulder holsters only in natural tan finishes, without dyeing.

post-7487-004410700 1313849377_thumb.jpg

post-7487-000534000 1313849386_thumb.jpg

post-7487-046951500 1313849412_thumb.jpg

post-7487-049690700 1313849446_thumb.jpg

post-7487-094336900 1313849466_thumb.jpg

I used to have a Jackass Leather Co rig, the original "Miami Classic".

It put the pivot point right smack dab in between the shoulder blades.

Which, probably not coincidentally, was exactly where my muscles knotted up after about 4 hours......

Nice for sure. I don't care for the shoulder rigs myself because of blown discs in my neck for one thing. Though I can see the use for the Vertical rigs for larger Hunting handguns like the AutoMag 44, Wildly 45 Mag and the huge revolvers. I did a belt holster for a Automag and some mag pouches, the holster was a trial because of having to hang the damn firearm so low the tip of the barrel wanted to slap you in the side of the knee almost..

Though Billy has a nice vertical rig which is more of a holder you push the Wildly into and it pops in. Spring steel lines the vertical slot, you grab the grip and pull it out forward of the slot. Works well for what it does, though even that is a huge hunk of leather and weapon to have in your arm pit.