Sign in to follow this  
bootkiller

Fur-Lined Chopper Mittens

Hi:

I'm planning to make some fur-lined mittens this winter, and I'm unsure about something.

I'm using the NativeTech mitten instructions, which doesn't really give measurements. How much bigger should I size the pattern to accomodate the fur lining? I'm planning on using rabbit fur, which should be plenty warm without adding a lot of volume. The shell will be deerhide. I want to make sure there's plenty of room in the thumb, without making them so big as to be useless.

Also, would whipstitch be the best stitch to use here?

Thanks,

VInce

I'm planning on making a pair similar to yours. I'm using deer exterior, sheep skin with fur for the lining, and come coyote trim. I can't seem to find a pattern. How did yours work out, where did you find your patter?

Thanks

Alex

Hi:

I'm planning to make some fur-lined mittens this winter, and I'm unsure about something.

I'm using the NativeTech mitten instructions, which doesn't really give measurements. How much bigger should I size the pattern to accomodate the fur lining? I'm planning on using rabbit fur, which should be plenty warm without adding a lot of volume. The shell will be deerhide. I want to make sure there's plenty of room in the thumb, without making them so big as to be useless.

Also, would whipstitch be the best stitch to use here?

Thanks,

VInce

I'm planning on making a pair similar to yours. I'm using deer exterior, sheep skin with fur for the lining, and come coyote trim. I can't seem to find a pattern. How did yours work out, where did you find your patter?

Thanks

Alex

Uhmmm I've never made any mittens but what I would do is wrap my hand in seran wrap then have someone carefully duct tape my hand. Then Mark the duct tape around the base of the thumb, allowing for the full thumb muscle. Make some reference marks so you know how to line up the pieces. Then cut the duct tape mitten off from the pinky finger side around to the index finger. That will give you a cast of YOUR hand. From there you would cut out the thumb portion and and split it up the inside of the thumb section (like where the web of the thumb meets the hand. Then lay out the hand portion on butcher wrap or paper bags working it to make it as flat as possible. Trace that. then do same with the thumb portion, trace that.

Now you add "ease" and sewing allowances. I would do this buy adding at least a 1/4 inch for stitching and a smidge more for ease. Label your pieces "left hand thumb, left hand palm" Then cut out a denim version as a prototype. use a bit of old sock or something to simulate the fur. Make one mitten and check fit. Make any pattern adjustments (retrace if necessary) Then make yet another prototype. If all goes well you'll have a perfect pattern for YOU in a day or so.

I wouldn't use a whip stitch, I would use a two needle saddle stitch.

Edited by Sylvia

Rabbit is hair (hare) you might consider something like muskrat fur.