Sign in to follow this  
CreativeArtandSoul

Hi! I Need Help Locating The Right Rivet Or Fastener

Hi all!

I'm new here and I'm not a leather worker...I'm a sandblaster....please don't hold that against me! Perhaps I will be working with leather soon with your help!

I knew that reaching out to you might be my best bet to find a rivet or fastener I have literally spent months trying to locate. I just haven't been lucky finding something the right size.

I am trying to rivet or fasten a bezel to a 2mm thick leather cuff so I can add my sandblasted stones to make finished cuffs. The pics I have attached detail the measurements I need for the fastener.

post-24212-084924000 1314076954_thumb.jp

The holes in the bezel are approx 2mm in diameter, so the stem of the rivet needs to fit through the hole. The cap needs to be 4-6mm (I suppose) to hold the bezel securely, so based on the configuration of the holes, I don't think I would be able to fasten within all of the bezel holes. I would love to use at least 2 fasteners if that would be more secure than one larger one...but I'll take what I can get.

post-24212-066152800 1314076987_thumb.jp

You can see the bezel sits up slightly over the 2mm thick leather cuff. I'm assuming that the post of the fastener needs to be approx 4mm in length (?). I also assume that the leather will be pulled up flush by the fastener?

I am also guessing that a double headed or double capped rivet will work....or will it? This is why I'm coming to you, the experts.

Does anyone know of exactly what I need to fasten these bezels and most importantly, where I can get them? Also, please let me know what special tool I will need to set them.

Here is what I hope the finished pieces look like.

post-24212-023033400 1314077057_thumb.jp

Any assistance you can provide to help me find a fastener that will work is truly appreciated!!!

All the best to you,

Kris

Creative Art and Soul

http://creativeartandsoul.etsy.com

Have you considered sewing your bezel to the cuff? I would fear that fasteners on a leather cuff will cause metal allergy issues to the wearer. If you sew it on there will be no issues.

Aaron

You could have a look at http://www.leprevo.co.uk/rivets.htm. I would guess that their F1/43 or F1/65 would serve the purpose. They're only single-capped rivets, but since the backside would not be seen, I don't think that would be a problem. Le Prevo are quite happy to supply overseas clients.

Thanks so much for the BUMP....the sewing advice...which I actually had not considered until now.....hmmmm....and the lead on some potential rivets that might fit!

Will ponder all your suggestions and follow your leads!

I truly appreciate your replies!

All the best!

Kris

Thanks so much for the BUMP....the sewing advice...which I actually had not considered until now.....hmmmm....and the lead on some potential rivets that might fit!

Will ponder all your suggestions and follow your leads!

I truly appreciate your replies!

All the best!

Kris

What is the problem with finding a rivet. If I had that thing I'd have it riveted in less than 10 minutes. Well, by the time we had a cup of coffee and roll....

I'm not understanding the problem. Can you explain it a little more or email me. leatherandstuff@outdrs.net

The space between the bracket that holds the stone and the piece of leather could have a round leather spacer inserted there and you rivet through all pieces. Depending on the size of the holes I have nickel plated brass or nickel silver rivets,

Edited by 45LC

What is the problem with finding a rivet. If I had that thing I'd have it riveted in less than 10 minutes. Well, by the time we had a cup of coffee and roll....

I'm not understanding the problem. Can you explain it a little more or email me. leatherandstuff@outdrs.net

The space between the bracket that holds the stone and the piece of leather could have a round leather spacer inserted there and you rivet through all pieces. Depending on the size of the holes I have nickel plated brass or nickel silver rivets,

-------------------------------------------

LOL! I wish I could have had this thing riveted in 10 mins as well as the next 100 or so I'd like to finish! Lucky you to have the right supplies you need to be able to do that!

I'm sorry that my problem seems trivial. I have never used a rivet prior to this nor do I work with leather. I sandblast stones, so I know how to do that well. I simply didn't know what I would need and I have done some research but it has not ended well, yet.

I asked for help from many different rivet/fastener companies, jewelry supply & leather supply folks. I purchased roughly 7-8 types & sizes of rivets that folks have recommended and nothing yet has worked. Others tell me the bezels are simply the wrong size for rivets. I'd rather not sew...I can't even sew a button without making a mess. I was simply hoping for a quick simple stable flush fastener. Buy it, fasten it, and go.

The bezel holes are a wonky size so no rivets I received would fit, some rivets were too long, heads went through the holes...I've merely had bad luck. :( Thus my trivial problem and my post seeking assistance here.

I know know that I will most likely have to augment the hole size of these bezels and I will try again. I've received some further assistance and ordered some new rivets since my last post here so I'm confident I can get these made and have a lovely new addition to my sandcarved jewelry line. I was hoping to have 100 of these cuffs made by my next show.

A spacer that you describe sounds like it might be a good idea. I will look into is as soon as my new fasteners come in and I see how it works.

Thanks for your reply.

All the best to you,

Kris

I think you're on the wrong track with rivets. Since one of the measurements is 9.5mm (which is really, really, really close to 3/8ths inch), I'd suggest getting some 3/8ths stainless steel staples and pushing them through from the back of the wrist band, then bend/peen over the prongs once you've installed the bezel. To make it even more secure, add a drop of 5 minute epoxy or lead free solder to help reduce twisting. Maybe a second staple so that you have a "+" on the back side where the staples cross. You should be able to mark, install the staples, flip the piece, and install the bezel (making sure you pull the leather up tight) in something like 2 minutes once you have the procedure down. Set things up as production stages instead of doing one at a time - lay out 30 wrist bands, mark and install staples, flip. Go back and install bezel, bend/peen staple legs. Mix epoxy and apply - you have a limited working time, so move quick. Install top piece (maybe while epoxy is setting?). Start on the next batch. If you have your materials laid out, you should easily be able to do 30 per hour from start to finish.

I think you're on the wrong track with rivets. Since one of the measurements is 9.5mm (which is really, really, really close to 3/8ths inch), I'd suggest getting some 3/8ths stainless steel staples and pushing them through from the back of the wrist band, then bend/peen over the prongs once you've installed the bezel. To make it even more secure, add a drop of 5 minute epoxy or lead free solder to help reduce twisting. Maybe a second staple so that you have a "+" on the back side where the staples cross. You should be able to mark, install the staples, flip the piece, and install the bezel (making sure you pull the leather up tight) in something like 2 minutes once you have the procedure down. Set things up as production stages instead of doing one at a time - lay out 30 wrist bands, mark and install staples, flip. Go back and install bezel, bend/peen staple legs. Mix epoxy and apply - you have a limited working time, so move quick. Install top piece (maybe while epoxy is setting?). Start on the next batch. If you have your materials laid out, you should easily be able to do 30 per hour from start to finish.

Wow, Thank you! I had not considered staples. I will look into that as well. I appreciate your post!

Cheers! Kris

Hi all!

I'm new here and I'm not a leather worker...I'm a sandblaster....please don't hold that against me! Perhaps I will be working with leather soon with your help!

I knew that reaching out to you might be my best bet to find a rivet or fastener I have literally spent months trying to locate. I just haven't been lucky finding something the right size.

I am trying to rivet or fasten a bezel to a 2mm thick leather cuff so I can add my sandblasted stones to make finished cuffs. The pics I have attached detail the measurements I need for the fastener.

post-24212-084924000 1314076954_thumb.jp

The holes in the bezel are approx 2mm in diameter, so the stem of the rivet needs to fit through the hole. The cap needs to be 4-6mm (I suppose) to hold the bezel securely, so based on the configuration of the holes, I don't think I would be able to fasten within all of the bezel holes. I would love to use at least 2 fasteners if that would be more secure than one larger one...but I'll take what I can get.

post-24212-066152800 1314076987_thumb.jp

You can see the bezel sits up slightly over the 2mm thick leather cuff. I'm assuming that the post of the fastener needs to be approx 4mm in length (?). I also assume that the leather will be pulled up flush by the fastener?

I am also guessing that a double headed or double capped rivet will work....or will it? This is why I'm coming to you, the experts.

Does anyone know of exactly what I need to fasten these bezels and most importantly, where I can get them? Also, please let me know what special tool I will need to set them.

Here is what I hope the finished pieces look like.

post-24212-023033400 1314077057_thumb.jp

Any assistance you can provide to help me find a fastener that will work is truly appreciated!!!

All the best to you,

Kris

Creative Art and Soul

http://creativeartandsoul.etsy.com

Try Rite On Screw Products Inc (google them,) they make all kinds of very high quality screw products for silver smiths and leatherworkers. They are brass and come in many different diameters and lengths. I'm thinking of chicago screws, don't know if you know what they are. They are used in many applications in leatherwork and western silversmithing. The ones that Rite On makes are much higher quality than most that are available, they are precision machined out of brass and the heads are much flatter than most you can buy. I'm thinking they will have them in the size that you need. They are reasonably priced and ship the same day in most cases.

Bill

Try Rite On Screw Products Inc (google them,) they make all kinds of very high quality screw products for silver smiths and leatherworkers. They are brass and come in many different diameters and lengths. I'm thinking of chicago screws, don't know if you know what they are. They are used in many applications in leatherwork and western silversmithing. The ones that Rite On makes are much higher quality than most that are available, they are precision machined out of brass and the heads are much flatter than most you can buy. I'm thinking they will have them in the size that you need. They are reasonably priced and ship the same day in most cases.

Bill

Oooh! I really like these! Thank you so much, Bill!

I truly do appreciate all the assistance on this forum! You guys are great!

Cheers! Kris

Honestly the best that I have found - and I can not find the exact type anywhere else - is at www.knifekits.com The rivets they have available come in different sizes but the ones that I have really been using are the size 8 for .93 kydex. I am able to use the rivets to re-enforce the holes made to attach IWB loops for my holsters. They make them smaller as well for thinner materials.

Good Luck

Be safe,

Doc

I would try using #14 copper rivets with / without burrs, peening them inside the bezel.

/ Knut