mlapaglia

How Do I Get My Holster To 125 Deg To Harden It

Denster's right ....... nothing except that you got a holster that's hotter than a couple of squirrels trying to make whoopee in a wool sock. Mike

Mike. You have such a descriptive way of putting things.:thumbsup:

Here are some pics of the setup I use. It is a simple box made of the drop from my cedar fence posts. The boards are rough cut and just laid next to each other before I screwed them together. This makes so there is about a 1/16" gap between boards. I believe the dry cedar along with the gaps in the box make for better drying. The added benefit you get from the cedar is a pleasant aroma. I use two 100w work lights as my heat source. I used to stick a thermometer inside the box and watch the temp closely. However I found that the hottest this box will get even after hours of running is about 132 degrees, so I don't even worry about it anymore.

If you do decide to build a box use a non-sappy wood like redwood or cedar.

All in all the box is about 3'X3'X6" plenty big enough for several holsters, and most any of my projects for that matter. The box also has a cedar lid made of the same fence post boards. You can't see it in the pic but I just lay the top on...no hinge.

post-29778-070615900 1346097766_thumb.jp

Edited by brathair

I use a simple cardboard box and a cheap discount store 1600 watt hair dryer set to low. Gives me a constant 120 degrees.

15xl5qh.jpg

35hrd76.jpg

2numa6h.jpg

160by2e.jpg

Just put it in the oven and turn it on. Take it out before it burns.

Alcohol.. Drink three fingers of Crown ///////////////////Royal. The leathers done now.

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Kevin

So, if I read all the posts right, you all agree on the 120 Deg. (approx) magic number and you are drying them completely at this temp?

Jake

Edited by SooperJake

You just need to get the temp of the leather up to 120-130F for 5-10 minutes. This sets the collagen in the leather to hold the shape. You do not have to completely dry it in the box. I take mine out after it gets to temp and place it in front of a fan so the rest of the moisture is blown away and not reabsorbed.