Sign in to follow this  
hjett1

Rigging Body

Has anyone ever attempted to make a bareback rigging body? If so any instruction would be appreciated. Thanks

I have never made one but have seen all the different phases as they are made. I was surprised at how tedious and exact the process is. If I remember correctly it is about a 30 day process to finish. Having the correct plastic for the inner stiffener is a must also.

They spend alot of time on forms in a drying room with dehumidifiers running. Not to be discouraging just telling you the things that struck me about the process. Good luck, if you undertake this I may be able to get you a few more specifics

Dink

www.prorodeooriginals.com

Ive torn an old Barstow PR94 apart and tried to build a new one. Got in way over my head. Pretty sure a handle will require some type of dehumidifying press. Neil and Peter and those guys building them probably wont give up the secrets easy like ..... It ended up just being way easier to spend $500 on a new rig than build one.

Your right on the handle I do know it takes about 30 days to build a riggin and they spend the majority of that time on form molds in a dehydrating room.

Dink

Ive torn an old Barstow PR94 apart and tried to build a new one. Got in way over my head. Pretty sure a handle will require some type of dehumidifying press. Neil and Peter and those guys building them probably wont give up the secrets easy like ..... It ended up just being way easier to spend $500 on a new rig than build one.

if by name your meaning me,i'm honour'd to be remember'd! lol. there 's a lot to makin a rig,years of refineing and modifying as the sport evolves,to the point now it needs to go back and revolve useing the 60-70's rig body or part thereof to make it more adaptable to fit various horses in a more comfortable way.the rig bodies of today are way too stout and hard.[my opinion] they have killed off the bb riders with arm jerking stout bodies, gloves that lock in the bb'r so he cant possibly get his hand snatched ! he ends up tearing around the arena 3 times before he can get off,if he's already off he's really in a storm!.if you go back to a softer body you'll need a machine that can comfortably sew 3 thick 14oz pieces of skirting,if you want to emulate the pr94 or later versions you'll have to sew 4 layers of 14oz skirting.that requires a special machine modifaction union lock was my machine and i modified it myself to sew 1 inch and that was hard and frustrating work .there was things that i did to my bodies to accomodate horse back varieties [shape] i feel i was successful there because horses bucked and my customers won,comfort thru shape and give! 12 world champions later the others [competition] copied my' roo' and all came out with their harder versions,kill'd me off and then the bb riders too,not forgetting th "bull riders" ! pbr has drawn a ton of daredevils to their field of action eh.the handle is a concieved shape [huh]well its usually made 2-3 layers sew'd, shaped ,i clamped mine on a body form, some build it on the body that will accomodate the handle.wait 2 weeks and laminate 1 piece of raw[hnl] onto shaped handle. wait a week lam' the next on , do it this way untill you've reached thickness desired.there u go.i sold my business and agreed not to teach anyone how to build riggings so i cant say much more! my 2 cents worth is in all liklelihood you'll be lucky to break even in this field of endeavour. if your a bb'r and your wanting to build your rig version then good luck peter john

They say the best info comes from the pro's or straight from the horses mouth, can't get any straighter than that

if by name your meaning me,i'm honour'd to be remember'd! lol. there 's a lot to makin a rig,years of refineing and modifying as the sport evolves,to the point now it needs to go back and revolve useing the 60-70's rig body or part thereof to make it more adaptable to fit various horses in a more comfortable way.the rig bodies of today are way too stout and hard.[my opinion] they have killed off the bb riders with arm jerking stout bodies, gloves that lock in the bb'r so he cant possibly get his hand snatched ! he ends up tearing around the arena 3 times before he can get off,if he's already off he's really in a storm!.if you go back to a softer body you'll need a machine that can comfortably sew 3 thick 14oz pieces of skirting,if you want to emulate the pr94 or later versions you'll have to sew 4 layers of 14oz skirting.that requires a special machine modifaction union lock was my machine and i modified it myself to sew 1 inch and that was hard and frustrating work .there was things that i did to my bodies to accomodate horse back varieties [shape] i feel i was successful there because horses bucked and my customers won,comfort thru shape and give! 12 world champions later the others [competition] copied my' roo' and all came out with their harder versions,kill'd me off and then the bb riders too,not forgetting th "bull riders" ! pbr has drawn a ton of daredevils to their field of action eh.the handle is a concieved shape [huh]well its usually made 2-3 layers sew'd, shaped ,i clamped mine on a body form, some build it on the body that will accomodate the handle.wait 2 weeks and laminate 1 piece of raw[hnl] onto shaped handle. wait a week lam' the next on , do it this way untill you've reached thickness desired.there u go.i sold my business and agreed not to teach anyone how to build riggings so i cant say much more! my 2 cents worth is in all liklelihood you'll be lucky to break even in this field of endeavour. if your a bb'r and your wanting to build your rig version then good luck peter john

Pete, I named you direct on purpose. The rig you built me in the late 90s was one of the most comfortable and easy riding rigs I ever owned. Wish I had changed brands years sooner. Your gloves got used for 12 years and passed on to kids starting out when I used em them up. I refused to let them gimmick their gloves. Saved a bunch of hangups on the young guys starting out around here.

Youre completely right about the new bodies and gimmicks killin off all the BB riders. Here in Arkansas, you go to amateur shows and might see 3 BB riders. In the 90s there would be 10-20 every perf. Even the pro shows around here pay mount money in the BB riding.

To clarify for some of the people reading this thread and wondering what the heck these guys are talking about - here are some pictures of a bareback rigging that belonged to one of my good friends. Pete made it for him and Pete is being kind of humble here. He was THE maker of these and when you arrived, it was usually in a Hennessey rigging.

post-29-094523000 1320354854_thumb.jpg

post-29-043203300 1320354862_thumb.jpg

post-29-055291200 1320354870_thumb.jpg

To clarify for some of the people reading this thread and wondering what the heck these guys are talking about - here are some pictures of a bareback rigging that belonged to one of my good friends. Pete made it for him and Pete is being kind of humble here. He was THE maker of these and when you arrived, it was usually in a Hennessey rigging.

thank you jb ,dink and bruce for your kind words, riggings were my niche,compliments my reward,i never tired of making them,time was never an issue,quality came first! the golden rules of business ah'd guess eh! god bless peter john