Sign in to follow this  
superluckycat

Consew Or Pfaff?

Hi,

I am about to purchase a walking foot machine which I intend to use for leather upholstery projects. I will be stitching garment leathers and tanned leathers no more than 6-7oz thick. I've narrowed down my options to a new Consew 205RB for $1000 w/servo motor or a used Pfaff 1445 with clutch motor in good working condition for $750. The 205 was recommended to me because apparently it is better at feeding garment leathers than the 206.

The Pfaff is clearly more solidly built as I compare the 2.

Which should I pick? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

post-24468-095440000 1314982916_thumb.jp

post-24468-095982500 1314983096_thumb.jp

I don't think there is any doubt of the quality and abilities of the Pfaff machines.

That said: I own the Consew 206RB5 and I love it. Have done upholstery but no garment leather. Regardless of what you sew with it I would recommend that you use the Servo motor, that will offset your cost difference somewhat. I have had no issues with "sticky" leather but I have not had time nor the funds to try every type leather available.

My machine was one manufactured in Japan, the head weighs in at a little over 70#. I have perused and in some instances taken portions of mine apart just to see how it works. Cannot find anything that is not properly made or looks to be inferior.

Hope this helps a little.

ferg

Hi,

I am about to purchase a walking foot machine which I intend to use for leather upholstery projects. I will be stitching garment leathers and tanned leathers no more than 6-7oz thick. I've narrowed down my options to a new Consew 205RB for $1000 w/servo motor or a used Pfaff 1445 with clutch motor in good working condition for $750. The 205 was recommended to me because apparently it is better at feeding garment leathers than the 206.

The Pfaff is clearly more solidly built as I compare the 2.

Which should I pick? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Hi superluckycat. Ferg is right about the Pfaff machines, although the Consew is a very good machine as well. In this case, I would choose the Pfaff. Tell him to put the servo motor on it and see what he says. If he wants to sell it bad enough, he will do it. Thanks, Steve