Snap

Hello from Lafayette, Indiana!

Hi there!

What a cool forum this is- very excited to be here. Can’t even tell you how excited. I have been looking for a place like this for at least a year and I don’t know how I could have missed this. But I did.

My name is Ryan. I am here to learn as much as I can about the design, construction, materials, assembly, etc. of leather accessories. I would like to prototype my own designs for possible manufacture and to demonstrate a product I developed (a snap/clasp thingy) a few years back and formed a company around.

I have very limited knowledge in the making of leather goods. I love to use them, love to design them, love the smell, and that's about the extent of it.

Last year I purchased a used sewing machine that was used to repair sails and umbrellas and such at a lake resort. I stepped on the foot control for a second, stopped, got up, and it has sat idle ever since. Scariest machine I have ever tried to use. Much scarier than our CNC mill.

I am so happy to be here and look forward to learning from such a talented and experienced group.

Best,

Ryan

Ryan,

Welcome to the group. Looking forward to seeing what you have developed. We've got enough people around here with different experience we can get you through about whatever you come up against, including the scariest sewing machine in Tippecanoe county.

I lived up the road in Logansport for a while. I also lived across the river from you in West Lafayette for 6 years (Purdue - class of '84) too. I went back 5 years ago - I could still eat a full order of biscuits and gravy at the Triple X Drive In, followed by a Friday afternoon at Harry's Chocolate Shop. Life was simple again for a day.

Welcome to the forum Ryan. I'm John aka Indy. I'm originally from (duh) indianapolis but live in Weatherford, TX just west of Fort Worth. You are between two good guilds and some really great folks in the Calumet and Central Indiana Guilds. Central Indiana meets in Beech Grove, IN and Edd Lucas 317-849-8847 in New Palestine and Brazil, IN is a great contact. Calumet meets in Highland, IN and their contact is Beth Volpe 219-937-1556.

Letme know when you need help and I'll do my best.

indy

:cheers:

Ryan,

Welcome. This is a great group of talented and helpful folks who can/will answer most of your questions.

Regis

Thanks for the replies- I appreciate the welcome.

Bruce- you know, I have never been to Triple x or Harry's but I have been told I need to visit both. I moved here about a year and a half ago, my grandparents lived here and my parents grew up here, (and my dad graduated from Purdue- probably in the late 60's/early 70's go Boilermakers!). My family's must hit when in town faves: Arni's at Market Square, the Igloo Frozen Custard at Columbian Park, and O'rears Bakery :) There is a lot of good food around this town. Where do you live now?

As far as the product I've been working on I'd be happy to post a picture and explain but don't want to get in trouble with anyone.

Indy- thanks for the info. I moved here from Indy- great town. I'm not familiar with the Guild's but will look into it- I imagine that is totally out of my league considering I don't know much at all. But I'm sure I'll have some questions for you soon enough! :)

Regis- I couldn't agree more, thanks for the reply!

Cheers,

Ryan

Edited by Snap

Thanks for the replies- I appreciate the welcome.

Bruce- you know, I have never been to Triple x or Harry's but I have been told I need to visit both. I moved here about a year and a half ago, my grandparents lived here and my parents grew up here, (and my dad graduated from Purdue- probably in the late 60's/early 70's go Boilermakers!). My family's must hit when in town faves: Arni's at Market Square, the Igloo Frozen Custard at Columbian Park, and O'rears Bakery :) There is a lot of good food around this town. Where do you live now?

As far as the product I've been working on I'd be happy to post a picture and explain but don't want to get in trouble with anyone.

Indy- thanks for the info. I moved here from Indy- great town. I'm not familiar with the Guild's but will look into it- I imagine that is totally out of my league considering I don't know much at all. But I'm sure I'll have some questions for you soon enough! :)

Ryan-That's why you get with them. They will help you over the lumps and bumps of learning this craft. It's a journey! John

Regis- I couldn't agree more, thanks for the reply!

Cheers,

Ryan

Welcome Ryan,

As a fellow Hooiser I can tell you this is the best site ever. People here are so helpful. If you don't know something ask. All are willling to help.

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum Ryan, great to have you here. You will find that we are all very friendly and helpful. Hope to see some of your work posted.

Ken

[" Calumet meets in Highland, IN and their contact is Beth Volpe 219-937-1556."]

The best contact for the Calumet area Leathercrafter's Guild is Monica Nibbe, President. Her number is (219) 963-1648, and it is best to call her in the morning, as she works afternoons. You can also send myself, or "howardb" (Brent) a message through this forum, as we are both members of the Guild, as well, and we will gladly answer any questions we can.

We meet the 2nd Sunday of the month, most often at the Redeemer Lutheran Church in Highland, IN, though we also sometimes meet at the Tandy Leather store on HWY 30 in Merrillville. Our next meeting will be at the Tandy store on Aug 10th at 1:00pm.

We would be glad to welcome anyone interested to our meeting.

Jim