Sign in to follow this  
Tat2edCowboy

Draft Horse Hobbles

Here is a set of draft horse hobbles I made for a farrier friend of mine. They are designed to be used as normal hobbles or a 1 leg hobble. He also had me carve some draft horse shoes onto them, as well as stamp his business name.

post-10078-077007200 1315409249_thumb.jppost-10078-015105800 1315409259_thumb.jppost-10078-012299700 1315409274_thumb.jp

Those are good looking hobbles. What size leather did you use? I used nylon hobbles on our draft and she just tore them in two. They were made from cheap and thin nylon. I was hoping they would have lasted a little longer than they did. I would like to make a pair from leather, but not sure what size to use.

Those are good looking hobbles. What size leather did you use? I used nylon hobbles on our draft and she just tore them in two. They were made from cheap and thin nylon. I was hoping they would have lasted a little longer than they did. I would like to make a pair from leather, but not sure what size to use.

I used an 8/9 veg tan for the tooling and used 8/9 Latigo to line it. It started out a bit stiff but he claims that after only a few uses it has softened up.