Sign in to follow this  
sunny275

Going "heeled" On A Horse

Ok so I have zero experience in what im about to ask. I recently....ish started doing holsters. On occasion ive been asked to do a "cowboy style holster". So I research to learn as much as possible. Ive been asked to do just that with a gun belt "low slung hollywood style" it drops down on the carying side. My question is what type of belt is actually better to cary while riding a horse. A low slung hollywood style belt or a regular gun or cartridge belt? Thanks.

Ok so I have zero experience in what im about to ask. I recently....ish started doing holsters. On occasion ive been asked to do a "cowboy style holster". So I research to learn as much as possible. Ive been asked to do just that with a gun belt "low slung hollywood style" it drops down on the carying side. My question is what type of belt is actually better to cary while riding a horse. A low slung hollywood style belt or a regular gun or cartridge belt? Thanks.

Well sunny, most men I know that carry a handgun while mounted (other than uniformed officers) usually wear a belt that is as wide as their trousers belt-loops will take, AND is made from two layers of leather. The holsters are usually high riding and incorporate a safety strap of some sort. If you get a chance, take a look at "Packing Iron", a book buy Richard Rattenburry. IMO it is THE book on the progression of holsters and the design thereof, beginning at the civil war and continuing into the '50s and '60s with the advent of the 'MOVIE' leather. It includes a great number of old photos of actual rigs (and the folks that wore them) worm by real working gun toters, versus the movie cowboys .... but it does include our cinema heroes. Mike

My question is what type of belt is actually better to cary while riding a horse. A low slung hollywood style belt or a regular gun or cartridge belt? Thanks.

To answer the question you pose, if the choice is between those two, the regular gun belt. The buscadero sits too low.

And with that regular gun belt you also want to slide your right handed holster over to the left side (for a right hander). It's more comfotable than wearing it strong side.

You didn't ask this, but more often than not, what I actually wear while on horsback is more along the lines of katsass description. A 1.5" belt made of 2 layers of 6/7 veg tan with a pancake holster. I disagree with him on the retention strap. It's no more necessary horse back than it is in a car or truck. A good pancake should hold the gun in place untill you want it to come out. And I've confirmed this theory with some painful testing :)

Dan

Edited by dbusarow

To answer the question you pose, if the choice is between those two, the regular gun belt. The buscadero sits too low.

And with that regular gun belt you also want to slide your right handed holster over to the left side (for a right hander). It's more comfotable than wearing it strong side.

You didn't ask this, but more often than not, what I actually wear while on horsback is more along the lines of katsass description. A 1.5" belt made of 2 layers of 6/7 veg tan with a pancake holster. I disagree with him on the retention strap. It's no more necessary horse back than it is in a car or truck. A good pancake should hold the gun in place untill you want it to come out. And I've confirmed this theory with some painful testing :)

Dan

Dan, I agree with you as to a safety strap with a pancake holster .....tain't necessary. Actually, I wasn't even thinking of a pancake style when I responded. Most of the desert riders where I live usually carry a wheelgun in a pouch type holster, and request a retention strap. Usually a thumb break. Mike

Dan, I agree with you as to a safety strap with a pancake holster .....tain't necessary. Actually, I wasn't even thinking of a pancake style when I responded. Most of the desert riders where I live usually carry a wheelgun in a pouch type holster, and request a retention strap. Usually a thumb break. Mike

Thanks to all that replied....Im going to get that book!!! I should have mentioned the gun I did the holster for is a ruger redhawk 44 mag. with a 7.5 inch barrel. its a hawg of a gun....overkill as far as im conerned, However Im providing a service and thats what he wants. I did a droploop holster. Im working on the belt. This was all brought about by something I read. I bought a pattern at Tandy's a while back. I needed something to look at while I made a belt. Not being a cowboy I simply did not know where to start. It was the the Blak Canyon Rig. On the pattern it read...I wouldnt recomend the Hollywood rig for carrying on a horse or durring strenuous activities. So I thought... why do all these local cowboys want just that for working off a horse. I still a newby...but most of the guys that have entertained a rig being made has mentioned that style of rig....So I thought I would ask all of you what you thought. Thanks for the insight.

It was the the Blak Canyon Rig. On the pattern it read...I wouldnt recomend the Hollywood rig for carrying on a horse or durring strenuous activities.

I just went and looked. In my opinion that's a terrible style for horseback.

1) it hangs too low and will probably cause the gun/holster to hit the cantle. Plus just be in the way in general.

2) you can't slide the holster to a better position, you have to rotate the belt and buckle. As I said before I almost always slide the holster around to the weak side, sort of cross draw, when I'm wearing a western style holster.

My 2cents, you can use the holsters from the pattern pack, they look fine. But change the belt to a straight 2 1/2 inch belt (or whatever size the pattern says, just big) without the holster slots. Just make sure the loop on the back of the holster is big enough to go over your belt.

Having the holster up higher and being able to slide it around to find a comfortabe spot is important for a working rig.

If the guys are just riding horseback in parades and such it won't matter, the buscadero will work fine and look like a TV cowboys.

Dan

Thanks to all that replied....Im going to get that book!!! I should have mentioned the gun I did the holster for is a ruger redhawk 44 mag. with a 7.5 inch barrel. its a hawg of a gun....overkill as far as im conerned, However Im providing a service and thats what he wants. I did a droploop holster. Im working on the belt. This was all brought about by something I read. I bought a pattern at Tandy's a while back. I needed something to look at while I made a belt. Not being a cowboy I simply did not know where to start. It was the the Blak Canyon Rig. On the pattern it read...I wouldnt recomend the Hollywood rig for carrying on a horse or durring strenuous activities. So I thought... why do all these local cowboys want just that for working off a horse. I still a newby...but most of the guys that have entertained a rig being made has mentioned that style of rig....So I thought I would ask all of you what you thought. Thanks for the insight.

With this gun in mind. I'd step back in time and build a rig similar to the ones worn in the time period following the Civil War. About a 2 1/2 to 3 inch heavy belt, worn loosely on the strong side, which, when on horseback was swung over to the off side of the rider. The holsters were generally quite deep and without any safety strap, although some had a thong .... just in case. Mike

P.S. The belts were generally either made with billets or just tapered on the ends for a buckle no larger than the full belt width.

Edited by katsass

there are some holster patter books/guides out there for you to use or base your designs on. your local library may have some books on the subject too.

fyi, as others have pointed out the low slung/buscadero rig you are thinking of isnt really ideal for the user on the back of a horse. the person that has requested this, if they do intend to ride with the rig, they should barrow one and try it. they will see real fast how it isnt the best solution.

if you check out the CMSA participants, they dont wear one either.

imo, if you client want to pack and ride, id look at one of the high ride styles like the Duke wore in a couple of his movies. btw, he wasnt packing a buntline, but a shorter barreled SAA.

if you have the opportunity, try some rigs and ride. its the best teacher and you will see why.

Edited by $$hobby