Lurker

North American (Hot-Stuffed) Leathers

I'd mail every company selling leather in North America for samples but I'm not entirely sure that the samples they'd send would give me a good enough idea of how their leather would work for my purposes. So I'll ask here in hopes that somebody's already done my research for me and wouldn't mind sharing the results....

I am specifically asking about hot-stuffed leathers, bridle and harness leather for tack making. Mostly strap goods.

I DID buy a couple Chahin "English" Bridle backs from Weaver a while back. It's gorgeous leather...but not really good for making bridles out of! I can get a nice burnish on it but the leather is just too soft and the edges rough back up really quickly once a buckle is dragged across them a few times. Not to mention the buckle makes an impression in the leather and EVERYTHING makes an impression in the leather. You touch it with your finger lightly and leave nail marks! I am thinking of making some bags with what I have left...seems like it might suit that purpose better than strap work. From what I've read here in other postings, this seems to be pretty typical of North American bridle leathers.

So question #1 is: Do I -really- have to go overseas for some decent bridle leather that I can make bridles out of? Ideally, I'd really love to find a Canadian supplier of something I can work with...

Question #2 is: I have recently had some orders for harness parts and am wanting to order some black harness. Am I going to have the same problem? Can harness leather made in North America -actually be used- for making harnesses?!!!

Question #3: If I can find harness leather suitable for making harnesses, could I split it down to 10oz and use it for bridles too? What is the main difference between bridle and harness leather anyhow?

I keep seeing "English" bridle being advertised as suitable for tooling...I don't want that stuff!!! I want something with a firm temper and durable. Something that actually requires me heating up my tools to put a mark in it. And ideally something a bit less costly than ordering in some Sedgewick's. I'm just starting out and trying to keep my costs manageable while building up my inventory.

Not sure if you have tried yet but wicket and craig has some nice harness leather that I have played with. I dont make bridles and such but have used it on some projects that require durability and it has performed very well. The edges tend to hold a burnish if done right and areas of wear tend to get a nice shine to them. The leather is pretty darn durable.

They will send you some swaths, I know it may be hard to determine if they will work for you but you may get an idea. They have harness and bridle, have not tried all versions of them but worth looking into maybe. Nice thing is you can order however many sides you want and they will usually split the sides down for you.

I'll second Wicket & Craig http://www.wickett-craig.com/ you have to call them to order, which I like. they will send you samples. I have only ordered one side from them so far a "chestnut Show Harness" it was a superb piece of leather. It has nice "pull up" but does scratch easily, though but with a bit of heat from rubbing it with my hand and it usually works most of it out. I'm making a briefcase out of it and they skived it to my specified thickness.

Depending who you get it from, Harness and bridle can be worlds apart. Ive been using W&C, Bridle, and show harness. Depending on what kind of harness you're making, I would recomened a differnt leather. for a lot of the show harnesses and some of the work harness I use the Bridle leather doubled and stitched, but for some bitting surcingles, and heavier harness I like the "Show Harness" it has a firmer temper and is, what I would say closer to "English made in England Bridle" in its firm temper, but mouldablity. I think getting imported English bridle has its application, but knowing exactly how you want the leather to react for that part, you can get a domestic hide to do that! Hermann Oak is supposed to have a Great Product as well, I know a lot of guys who swear by that too! But I think the Show harness from W&C might be your ticket! Espcially in black! I dont see their Bridle being what you are looking for if you are looking for a firm hand.

-Andrew

Thanks so much for the replies :)

I shall check out W&C and see if I can get some samples sent. I've also found a local leather supplier that I'm going to give a call to see what they have. Maybe I'll get lucky and find what I need to get these orders done to -my- satisfaction. Right now I've got repair orders for English bridle parts and replacement orders for heavy draft horse show harness parts...I'd really like the pieces I do to be equal (if not superior in quality) to the rest of the bridle/harness and not wear out and get ratty looking earlier because all I could find was 'soft' leather!

That said, I'm currently making a western headstall out of the chestnut "English" bridle I got from Weaver. Despite it seemingly not taking much water for casing, it stamps up crisper than any skirting/tooling leather I've ever stamped. Then I dyed it dark brown...without using any deglazer...