Somawas

Why Are We, As Craftspeople

making checkbook covers and "organizers"? Who uses them anymore?

The same reason Tandy still sells gold colored hardware: There are a lot of old people involved in leather work.

I have two checkbooks and I used a leather Bi-Fold Organizer at work for years. In fact, when I retired I gave several away including the one I had been using and saw all of them being used by my last day.

Credit Cards do not work in all places or for all purchases. At my favorite stores I will use cash or check since honoring a credit card actually costs them.

BillB

At 46 I don't consider myself old. I still use a check for some transactions. In some cases it is to buy a little extra time ; if the payment is considered on time if postmarked by the due date. The time the PO takes to get it there has given me the cushion to make sure the money was actually in the account on lean months.

Some folks live in rural areas where the internet is sketchy , but the mail service isn't. I just paid the property taxes on some property in upper Michigan. I called and asked if I could pay by phone , or on a website because I was close to the due date. The answer was "No, we are not set up for electronic payments." Sent a check off, and she said that she would not penalize me if it was a day late.

I use a debit card for things like fuel,since it is over $100 to fill my truck up, and I do not have any credit cards.

With stories of big companies getting hacked, I am still leery about some internet transactions, or going totally paperless.

This may come as a shock to you, but there are still people on a dial up internet service!

Edited by BIGGUNDOCTOR

I don't know about your end of the world, but I make 'em because I can sell 'em.

I don't know about your end of the world, but I make 'em because I can sell 'em.

Gret reason. i LIVE IN DEBIT CARD/ONLINE HEAVEN.

Credit Cards do not work in all places or for all purchases.

BillB

I went to Scandinavia this Summer (Norway, Sweden, Russia, Finland, Denmark, Latvia & Iceland)- I took travelers checks- they're not used anymore & no one wanted to take them- I came back with them all. However, EVERYONE accepted credit/debit cards (even in Russia, where the only 'official' currency is the ruble... :rolleyes2: ). Granted, I was only in the larger metro areas- I don't know about the rural, off the beaten track areas.

In the US, I prefer to write checks- although many checks are electronically processed at the point of purchase now.

I rarely carry more than $20 in cash.

I make one once in a while ....... for grumpy old farts like myself that aren't about to change our ways. I pay bills mostly by check (for example, Medicare requires payment by check) and generally by going to the locale that requires payment .....the major extent of our travel. I do have a credit card by which I purchase leather goods and pay for a week (once in a while) at a small (two unit) little known motel on a rough piece of the CA. coast where Ma and I can see the fog roll in and watch the ocean ..... in peace. For other purchases I pay in cash. I don't care much for ATM's nor an I too trusting of online banking and/or bill payments. Mike

Edited by katsass

making checkbook covers and "organizers"? Who uses them anymore?

I am self employed, have 2 businesses, and 3 checkbooks needing covers... :thumbsup:

you might be surprised, but there are still a lot of us out here that use check book covers.

I am self employed, have 2 businesses, and 3 checkbooks needing covers... :thumbsup:

you might be surprised, but there are still a lot of us out here that use check book covers.

I'm self-employed and pay most of my bills by check. A check that I print on a laser printer.

Gold coloured hardware isnt just for "old" people. I sell heaps of belts in several different shops as well as at shows. The belts with plain, solid brass buckles outsell anything else. Of all the bags, cases etc I have made in the last five years not one of them has had chrome fittings - our customers always ask for brass. Generally our clients are in the 20-30yr age group but some teenagers are starting to get "into" leather now and they still want the brass look.

DJ

I still use my checkbook 4 times a year, when I pay my water bill. They don't take payment online, and they don't accept credit cards.

If you want to make something very likely to sell, try making bi-fold credit card wallets.They are about the size of a business card holder. I wet form the inside of a pocket over a stack of about 6 credit cards. The other pocket is flat, and can hold business cards, more credit cards, or folded cash money. I make them from petite tooling calf to keep the size and weight down. You can make several in a day if you have all your wet forming done ahead of time. They make great gifts, too.

Latest news I heard is that people are cutting credit card use way back , and trying to get out of debt, so checks may come back into fashion.

One company I worked for lived on their daily planners. I was issued one, but generally left it alone except when I HAD to bring it with me. They don't suit type B go with the flow personalities like myself.

I prefer solid brass over chromed hardware, now if you are talking silver then it has its place too.

Well as was said before, its not just older people. Im 25 years old and still carry a checkbook AND a day planner. Most of my customers (I'm a rural Ag Banker) carry both too. for farmers and cattlemen, the check is the best way to pay, since it provides easier record keeping. An in this part of the world, the farmer and cattleman are the normal, average leather customer.

I absoluttely despise cell phones, but I guess we've all made cell phone cases. I've made 3 for myself and half a dozen as gifts.

I was at Tandy last weekend and noted that they checkbook kit was on sale for under $10. I bought a couple but then I couldn't think of anyone to make them for.

Some of the banks are going to charge a fee for having a debit card, when my bank decides to do that I will turn my card in and start carrying my checkbook again.

That is the neat thing about leatherwork. You can make chequebook covers for those of us who still use them (count me in!), but cell phone cases, I pad covers, etc. etc. for all the new technology too. If Tandy isn't selling kits made up for these new things, that would be a great opportunity for a leatherworker to step up and fill that niche. The world changes, but leather just goes on, and on, and on...

I agree about the brass not being for older people. Its just about what fits a design really and I think especially with earthly colours it looks way better than chrome.