Tina

Some New Carvings, Leather Viking Helmet And Horns...

I got inspired by Toms helmets (not that mine is nearly as good) and I made this viking cerimonial helmet just for fun.

All pieces that looks like bone is actually cernit clay that i have made. Inside the helmet I made it possible to change the size somewhat.

The other picture is from my new hobby, carving cow hornes (and bones in the future) It's great fun except you have to be outdoors (it stinks burned hair)

Beautiful work. Wish I had them in my shop to sell at the Texas Renaissance Festival...

Beautiful work. Wish I had them in my shop to sell at the Texas Renaissance Festival...

Thanks a Million :-)

If only it would not stink so much so I could do the horn carving indoors without gaging...I have a number of empthy horns that is craving some designs, I think I seriosly need to contemplate using a cloth pin on my nose *LOL*

Try a little mentholatum ointment rubbed under your nose Tina. It tends to overwhelm the olfactory nerves to a degree and make rank stuff a little more bearable. Of course, some would say the smell of metholatum is worse....

Try a little mentholatum ointment rubbed under your nose Tina. It tends to overwhelm the olfactory nerves to a degree and make rank stuff a little more bearable. Of course, some would say the smell of metholatum is worse....

That sounds like something I need, Thanks :-)

On a nerdish note the reason carving the horns with a dremel tool stinks like burned hair is that horn is basically made from the same stuff as hair. Won't make it smell any better but now you know

As for sealing drinking horns typically people use beeswax and or brewer's pitch (not good for high alcohol or hot drinks), or varnish that is approved for use with salad bowls. Actually one of the reasons that horn was used for cups and spoons and the like, besides being easy to work, was that it would not react with other things.

Amazing work, very nice and clean, hope I can produce work of that quality some day

Amazing work, very nice and clean, hope I can produce work of that quality some day

Thanks a Load for your very nice comment about my work:-)

With practice and determination, most things in life is possible :thumbsup:

I got inspired by Toms helmets (not that mine is nearly as good) and I made this viking cerimonial helmet just for fun.

All pieces that looks like bone is actually cernit clay that i have made. Inside the helmet I made it possible to change the size somewhat.

The other picture is from my new hobby, carving cow hornes (and bones in the future) It's great fun except you have to be outdoors (it stinks burned hair)

I absolutely loved your helmets.

Vikefan

I absolutely loved your helmets.

Vikefan

Thank you loads and sooo nice you like it:-) It was a lot of work but fun at the same time.