Sign in to follow this  
leatheroo

Macbook Air Sleeve, Cover

Here is a sleeve i made for my new macbook air 11inch. The outer layer is croc embossed leather and the lining is a soft black leather. Lacing is roo and i also covered the snap with leather.

Thanks for looking

cheers

croc-sleeve-with-mac.jpg

croc-sleeve-web.jpg

Here is a sleeve i made for my new macbook air 11inch. The outer layer is croc embossed leather and the lining is a soft black leather. Lacing is roo and i also covered the snap with leather.

Thanks for looking

cheers

croc-sleeve-with-mac.jpg

croc-sleeve-web.jpg

That's a great looking and functional piece. Really clean lines and awesome attention to the little detail like covering the snap, that's what really sets it apart!

Bill

This is a gorgeous case!

If I may ask, how did you go about covering the snap with leather?

As stated above, the attention to detail is icing on the cake for this project, really great job

wscott, to cover the snap top, you need to cut a piece of leather large enough so it will cover the snap head and fold over the edge and stick to the underside but not all the way to the stem. The leather needs to be thin to start with and then skive the edges even more. The snap will be easier to handle if you use one of those thin wooden stirrers you get in coffee shops. Push it into the stem and then you can use this to hold the snap. Cover the back of the leather in a strong glue and stick to the top of the snap. Now put the snap in the palm of your hand and cup your hand to curve the leather around the edge of the snap. Now put it down and use a modelling tool to get the rest of the leather to stick to the underside of the snap. All finished ... when you attach the top of the snap to its mate, the leather will be held in place. This won't work with thick leather...it must be thin!!

cheers

caroline

That is really beautiful! I like the fact that it is both really clean and functional, and yet, esthetically gorgeous. The lacing and the covered snap really complement the design. Out of curiosity, what thickness did you use for croc and lining? I would love to make a protective sleeve for my laptop that then fits into one of my bags, but am worried the sleeve would be too bulky.

hi tate, the top layer of croc embossed is quite thin, probably about 1-2mm but because it is embossed it is a bit stiff. The lining is sheep skin, which is thin as well.

cheers

wscott, to cover the snap top, you need to cut a piece of leather large enough so it will cover the snap head and fold over the edge and stick to the underside but not all the way to the stem. The leather needs to be thin to start with and then skive the edges even more. The snap will be easier to handle if you use one of those thin wooden stirrers you get in coffee shops. Push it into the stem and then you can use this to hold the snap. Cover the back of the leather in a strong glue and stick to the top of the snap. Now put the snap in the palm of your hand and cup your hand to curve the leather around the edge of the snap. Now put it down and use a modelling tool to get the rest of the leather to stick to the underside of the snap. All finished ... when you attach the top of the snap to its mate, the leather will be held in place. This won't work with thick leather...it must be thin!!

cheers

caroline

Thanks a ton for your info, I will give this a few practice runs

Scott