Sign in to follow this  
Highlands858

Resolene

I hear people talk about resolene all the time. I have some stuff called Fiebing's Acrylic Resolene, but I've stopped using it because I was told not to use it with water-based paints. Is there a resolene for water-based paints, and if so what is it? When I tried to use the Fiebing's it wore away some of my paint.

Thanks for any and all responses!

I hear people talk about resolene all the time. I have some stuff called Fiebing's Acrylic Resolene, but I've stopped using it because I was told not to use it with water-based paints. Is there a resolene for water-based paints, and if so what is it? When I tried to use the Fiebing's it wore away some of my paint.

Thanks for any and all responses!

Yep, that's the same stuff. The problem you're having is not with the product but with the process. Finishes applied over water based paints (watercolor, acrilyc, etc.) should be sprayed on, not wiped. Anything with a fluid medium equal to or harsher than water (basically every finish out there) will pick up, smear, smudge, disolve, etc. a water based paint if you try to wipe it on.

On thing that can help is to use the finish in question as a thinning medium for your last coat or two of color...the color becomes a tint for the finish and helps lock in the color a bit more. The better solution is to simply pick up an inexpensive airbrush from Harbor Freight or TCB Global (Amazon store) to spray your finish on over painted items.

Chris