BBAYS

Need Some Help Please

Hello, I finally gave up the needles and purchased a Weavers 441 clone named the master lockstitch. I am new to machines and am having trouble. They sent an instructional dvd that doesnt work and Im up against the clock. The trouble I am having is it appears the lock stitch is coming out on top rather than in the middle of the leather. Like I said I know next to nothing about machines and hope you understand what I mean. Thanks for any help, Brian

You're upper thread tension is set too high, or the bobbin tension is set too low. With the thread in position to sew - bottom thread is pulled up through the slot - gently pull only the bottom thread for a few inches. It should have a little tension, but not require REALLY pulling. As long as it isn't just 'free wheeling' off the bobbin that should be 'okay'. If it has almost no tension, first check that the bobbin is installed correctly and that the thread is in the right position - under the tensioner.

For your top tension, go to the primary tensioner and reduce the tension by half a turn at a time to get the thread below the top of the leather. Sew about 10-15 at a time, on the same thickness as your project. When you get the lock to stop pulling out of the top, check the back side. If you've got the lock on the bottom, increase tension by 1/4 turn to pull it back into the leather. If it's a little high, decrease by 1/8th turn.

Check it by sewing after each check or adjustment you make.

Try that first, and if you have additional problems, let us know, we'll do what we can to help you. You may need to call one of the dealers on here (Bob or Steve) to phone-diagnose it with you if the tension settings don't straighten things out.

Also, it's perfectly acceptable to use a Sharpie to put a mark on the tensioner knob to keep track of their position.

It could be that the top thread is binding on the way to the needle. Bob Kovar made a video showing

, but it is the same for most of the other 441 clone machines. If you thread your new machine the same way, your knots should be in a better location, everything else being equal.

Thanks guys, up and running good. Feeling like at kid at Christmas. Brian