Sign in to follow this  
rustyriggin

Original or modern??

I have an old Frew saddle I found it in the barn when I got my new place, the patent on the stamp is 1903, and I know a guy that has the original stamp that was used on the saddle. So i need input on weather to redo it original or put a modern twist on it, like basketweave, and fancy rigging dee's, or keep it simple and do wooden leather wrapped rings, and smooth leather. The tree is solid, and most of the leather is there, just very dry, and brittle. The story I got was years ago this saddle was made right here in town, but there was a fire and burned the factory to the ground, and that was the end of Frew saddle co. Any input would be very appreciated. Thanks, Rusty

Rusty,

What I can find about James Frew is that he moved to Harrison AR in 1888 and established the Frew Saddlery. It was in business for over 40 years. He died in 1939.

I do a few restorations. I have a couple of my own restorations in the living room. First off with the age of this saddle I would restore it to original. I wouldn't think about riding it. The tree is probably not sized for most modern horses, the saddle has some history, and I'd honor that. If you have the stamp for the pattern that was originally used, no reason not to use it. I would try to save as much of the old leather as I could. Clean and condition, then give it some time to see what needs to be replaced. I have been surprised on a few how the old leather came back to be presentable. When you start replacing, it can be hard to match colors and the "patina", and more saddles have lost character from replacing pieces that from just leaving something. We know it is at least 80 years old, let that character show. If it is missing parts, then do those parts with the same techniques as much as possible. If you want to build one to ride with basket stamping and fancy dees, then buy a tree that is going to work. Build from new and let someone find it in 80 years and restore yours. My thoughts.

Thank you so much Bruce, you confirmed by thoughts on what to do, I guess my hang up was messing it up trying to recreate it. I'll let it set a little bit longer until my confidence level matches my ability. I'll go to the library and look up some more on James B. Frew, he seems interesting to me, I did find out he was a saddler in the 5th U.S. Calvery, and was in the indian wars of Nebraska in 1865. Thanks again for your advice it helped me a lot. Rusty