Sign in to follow this  
Hilly

Masonite Alternative For Stiffener?

I have been contemplating making a guitar case for ages now. I bought myself a really nice Martin guitar, and I want a really nice home for it. The time has finally come to stop thinking and start doing.

I'm starting to round up all the materials I will need for the job, but I need a suggestion for a stiffener. You can't get "Masonite" any more, and I'm sort of at a loss. 1/8" plywood would be way too heavy. Something like matt board would not be sturdy enough. Some type of plastic might pose a problem with cementing between the leather outer and the lining. Whatever I end up using needs to be long enough to use a single piece.

Suggestions?

Masonite is still for sale at most building supply stores. 1/8 Masonite compared to 1/8 ply for weight, the ply is lighter by far. On your case, water hardened 10/12 ounce leather should be plenty stiff enough to protect the guitar in my opinion.

Masonite is a brand name for Tempered Hardboard. Home Dept normally has it in stock. 1/8" 4'x8' sheet goes for $8.48 in Denver. YMMV

Which Model Martin did you get? Is it new or an older model?

Michael

Edited by mlapaglia

Masonite is a brand name for Tempered Hardboard. Home Dept normally has it in stock. 1/8" 4'x8' sheet goes for $8.48 in Denver. YMMV

Which Model Martin did you get? Is it new or an older model?

Michael

I bought a brand new GPCPA3. I've had it since May, and I absolutely love it.

I just checked out your link, and that hardboard does not look like the stuff I remember as a kid, but I'll check it out. Menard's or Home Depot should have something similar?

Edited by Hilly

Look for plywood door skin used to make hollow core doors. Very thin, very strong. Far lighter and stronger than Masonite/hardboard.

I bought a brand new GPCPA3. I've had it since May, and I absolutely love it.

I just checked out your link, and that hardboard does not look like the stuff I remember as a kid, but I'll check it out. Menard's or Home Depot should have something similar?

Yes they should.

Nice guitar. Im saving for a D35 but Im at least a year away from getting it.

Michael

Yes they should.

Nice guitar. Im saving for a D35 but Im at least a year away from getting it.

Michael

The D-35 is also a nice guitar. I'm sure you're gonna love it when the time comes.

I got mine through Sweetwater.com. Good prices and SUPERB service.

Look for plywood door skin used to make hollow core doors. Very thin, very strong. Far lighter and stronger than Masonite/hardboard.

Where did you learn about this, and where can I look at some? Sounds expensive, but strength is a good thing when it contains a very expensive instrument.

Never mind. Plywood door skin AKA Lauan Plywood. About $10 a sheet at Lowes. I'll eyeball some tomorrow.

Edited by Hilly

One problem you will find with the wood or the hardboard, . . . making the connection to the edges of the other pieces.

If it were me, . . . I'd go get a couple of pieces of 1/16" aluminum, . . . make the back and the front out of the exact same pattern, . . . use a serpentine piece for the sides. You can make the top and bottom about 1/2 inch wider and longer (all around), . . . notch it, . . . then bend it down with a pair of vice grips, . . . it makes a super edge to pop rivet the bottom to the edges, . . . then hinge the top.

Just thinkin', . . . cause if I had that guitar, . . . you can bet your bootsies I'd have it in a super protective case.

May God bless,

Dwight

Nice choice for guitar. Martin makes some very sweet sounding guitars. I prefer the sound mahogany gives over indian rosewood.

I'd consider kydex for your stiffener. You can get it in various thicknesses, and it will mold (by heat) to the shape you need; then you just mold the leather right around it.